Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I currently have a 30 long with two Yellow Labs (Labidochromis caeruleus) in it. I'm interested however in getting a slightly larger tank and attempting to set up a small community. Due to constraints set by my landlord I can't really go any bigger than a 40, and I was thinking that a breeder would be better after research suggesting the Malawi cichlids need more space on the ground to claim territory. I've mulling over the idea of the 40 breeder, combined with a 10 gallon turned into a sump, then stocked with my existing Labs plus some other fish. My reading suggests overstocking is the best way to go to prevent too much aggressive behavior. So my question is, what other species and numbers would you stock in such a setup? Is this a decent idea for a small community tank? I was thinking at least 2 or 3 more Labs and then an equal number of Mainganos. Would you stop there?

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
Go for a 33G 48x12 tank. I would skip the maingano in a tank that small, but you could do two small, peaceful species. Yellow labs and Cynotilapia zebroides Cobwe. 1m:4f of each.

Length is more important than width or gallons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Length is more important than width or gallons.
Interesting. Im surprised that length cannot be substituted for depth, does it not just matter the surface area of the bottom as far as area for territories?

You also mention the ratio of fish. I have read a little about this process (venting) but have yet to do it for the two labs that I have. What would you recommend as a strategy to get this ratio? Do you overbuy fish at the start till they are large enough to vent then keep the ones you want? And if so, what do you do with the "discards"?

Thanks for the info I greatly appreciate it!

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
The fish have a chase zone that is 36" so a 48" tank allows the victim fish a chance to elude.

Some of them also want to claim a 36" square territory.

I buy 8 unsexed juveniles to get 4 females and rehome extra males as necessary.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
The fish have a chase zone that is 36" so a 48" tank allows the victim fish a chance to elude.

Some of them also want to claim a 36" square territory.

I buy 8 unsexed juveniles to get 4 females and rehome extra males as necessary.
Awesome, thanks much for your information. Super helpful!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your suggestions DJRansome! I ended up getting a Marineland 55gal, since there was one with a stand and lids for a price that was too good to pass up at my local aquarium store, thats just over 48in long! It's all set up and running and is now inhabited by 8 juvenile Yellow Labs.

IMG_20180930_141855482.jpg

IMG_20180929_202157319.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts