Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I had a cichlid tank years back and want to start up again. Tank is a 40 breeser, still have rock and light. Plan is to run a aquaclear 110.
What are your thoughts on possible stock below

3 labs
3 rams
1 Apistogramma cacatuoides
2 cockatoo
1 yellow pleco

I'm not really sure about cost of fish again but that's idea. Any input is welcome. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think the labs will kill everything else in the tank; Mbuna are very aggressive and really need a larger tank 48 inches long).

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!

What is your most desired fish and we can help you build a stocking plan around them.

Post the dimensions of your 40 Breeder as they can be different between brands. Looking at Length x Width x Height.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In all honesty, I just want a bright colorful tank. The mbuna tank I had I loved. Just don't remember stock. Totally open to a straight mbuna also

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I pulled the labs, what could I replace with? Do the others work? I also want to stock it for adults as this will be my only tank.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aulonocara baenschi
German Red
Firefish
AULONOCARA STUARTGRANTI(flametail)
Ruby Red Albino Aulonocara "Rubescens Albino"
Northern Aulonocara sp. "Chitande Type Masinje" Alsp.
Cynotilapia sp. "hara"
Aulonocara ethelwynnae
and some sort of pleco

Does the above stocking make sense? Been looking for how I stocked previous tank

·
Super Moderator
1,852 Posts
A 40 Breeder does not have enough footprint for most Malawi cichlids, you would need a 48" long x 12" wide (55G) or better yet 48" long x 18" wide tank (75G).

You might want to consider Chindongoi (formerly Pseudotropheus) saulosi where the males and females are different colors and would be the sole species in a 40B except for a smaller size pleco such as a bristlenose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why just them? Could I remove labs and Apistogramma cacatuoides. Replace with a Male and 2 or 3 female chindongoi?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
You don't want to combine the rams and saulosi as they are unlikely to get along, as mentioned.

You could do just the saulosi, but you would stock more individuals. These fish like a high pH over 7.5.

The apistogrammas like cockatoo like a low pH under 7.5.

The rams (depending on which kind) like a pH under 6.0.

Choose which one is your favorite and build the tank to suit the fish.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what would be my stocking options if I just did one type or rams? Or if I did just saulosi, what would that look like?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, did more research and I think I'll go with 3m/9f Pseudotropheus saulos and a pleco. I have been seeing the 3/9 in a 40 breeder but would like pleco also. Would this work with 3 distinct rock formations?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The saulosi could work with a bristlenose pleco. African's like to kill plecos, but the BN have a 75% chance IME.

You may eventually find the 3 males will not tolerate each other or not color up so you may have to rehome them.

With mbuna you fill the tank to the waterline with rocks. 3 formations sounds too open for mbuna.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok sounds good. And you suggest 12 juvies and wait out sexing? Or buy sexed? And does buying a larger pleco compared to others increase chances of success?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Max chance of success I have found is 75% with bristlenose. The 75% that make it are not larger or smaller...the ones smart enough to hide are the survivors. You can help them by providing hiding places form fit to the pleco's body like a terra cotta saucer covered by a slate tile. I have no luck with pleco caves for this BTW as the mbuna and Synodontis steal it.

Can't recommend other species, especially in a 36" mbuna tank.

Mbuna are rarely sold sexed by reliable vendors. I would actually buy 20 unsexed and plan on rehoming extra males as they cause trouble or prevent other males from coloring up. Figure that can happen after 6 to 18 months in your tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Could be but usually rehome means sell to another hobbyist or to the LFS.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts