Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
No it is not too small for one I've heard of people breeding them in as little as a 15 gallon. Females do not get as big as males I think that it could work long term no problem

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I have a breeding pair in a 15, they've been spawning since september 2010, like clockwork, no aggression or water quality issues.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Chubbs the Jellybean said:
I have a breeding pair in a 15, they've been spawning since september 2010, like clockwork, no aggression or water quality issues.
Hey Chubbs, how many times have they spawned since then and what do you do with all the fry?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have four cons in 2 20 gals. No probs yet but I just got them.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Elijah said:
Hey Chubbs, how many times have they spawned since then and what do you do with all the fry?
Hey Elijah, they spawn about every 3.5 weeks or so, (I've yet to be around when they actually lay or fertilize the eggs :( ) so about 6 spawns thus far, maybe 7. After about 1 and a half weeks with mom and dad I siphon them out and feed them to my 37 and 20 gallon long tanks (occupants in signature - the danios and tetras and HRP demolish them)

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hey Elijah, they spawn about every 3.5 weeks or so, (I've yet to be around when they actually lay or fertilize the eggs :( ) so about 6 spawns thus far, maybe 7. After about 1 and a half weeks with mom and dad I siphon them out and feed them to my 37 and 20 gallon long tanks (occupants in signature - the danios and tetras and HRP demolish them)
I assume you use a gravel vac to siphon the fry out? Don't the parents freak out? That sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Yeah i take the attachment off so i just have the hose and syphon them out, the parents hate the hose, but they don't abuse each other. A bit skittish in the 15 gallon due to them starting to get bigger (gonna need to rehome them as they get larger than 3.5-4")

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah i take the attachment off so i just have the hose and syphon them out, the parents hate the hose, but they don't abuse each other. A bit skittish in the 15 gallon due to them starting to get bigger (gonna need to rehome them as they get larger than 3.5-4")
Ever since I read your post, I've been thinking about getting a fish for my 20 gallon long aquarium, that'll eat all the fry my cons produce. I narrowed it down to a Jewel cichlid. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I think a jewel gets too big for a 20 long, maybe something like a few bolivian rams or apistos

1 - 13 of 13 Posts