Cichlid Fish Forum banner
61 - 80 of 575 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am also a user of the Black Beauty sand for well over 2 years now, and have yet to have a problem with it. Has anyone actually had a bad experience with it or is this just a "possibility" that it could have negative effects? Pretty much anything has the possibility of being bad in one way or another. And I got an 80 lb bag of that here for $12. CDN. retail.

·
Registered
155 Posts
3m Color Quartz is a inert ceramic coated quartz crystal.....and does not leach or give off anything into the water, so it does not add any buffering to the tank water.

Celtic Dragon

·
Registered
86 Posts
CelticDragon said:
3m Color Quartz is a inert ceramic coated quartz crystal.....and does not leach or give off anything into the water, so it does not add any buffering to the tank water.

Celtic Dragon
Thanks CD-
I know that 3M Color Quartz is inert and is a very inexpensive and attractive substitute for those desiring the look of Tahitian Moon Sand.

My curiosity is whether or not the Tahitian Moon Sand offered attributes (i.e. buffering, etc.) that would make it more desirable to use (albeit at a much more expensive cost) for an African Cichlid aquarium. If the Tahitian Moon Sand does not offer such qualities, and itself is inert, then the choice of 3M Color Quartz seems even more practical to me.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One of the most popular decorative sands, Tahitian Moon black sand is a great way to accent your brightly colored tropical fish. Can be used in fresh or saltwater. Will not affect pH.
That is a quote from the Carib-Sea website.

·
Registered
86 Posts
scubaguy0177 said:
One of the most popular decorative sands, Tahitian Moon black sand is a great way to accent your brightly colored tropical fish. Can be used in fresh or saltwater. Will not affect pH.
That is a quote from the Carib-Sea website.
Thanks!
So it appears that for the purposes of an African Cichlid tank, the Tahitian Moon Sand offers no specific advantages other than aesthetic aspects.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am a novice have my first 12 gallon tank with 2 cherry barbs, 1 lemon barb and two small bottom feeders so far. Iused large gravel, but do not like it.

Question: will the quartz sratch my acrylic tank? I would like to use a finer grained substance like sand and use much less inch wise.

Please respond. I would like to use black or a light neutral color. I have a black background with a rock formation and some colorful plants. My fish are colorful as well. Thanks. Mona

·
Registered
91 Posts
:cry:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but quartz can scratch an acrylic tank. I don't have one but I've been told that almost anything can scratch acrylic. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
:cry:Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but quartz can scratch an acrylic tank. I don't have one but I've been told that almost anything can scratch acrylic. Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes Color Quartz can scratch an acrylic tank...it is quartz and is harder than most sand. but sand will scratch the tank as well...you just have to take care with both substrates to make sure when you clean it that no grains get between the acrylic and your cleaning device

Celtic Dragon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting that full list of suppliers of the 3M Colorquartz MrPleco!!! From the list I found a supplier 2 miles from my house!! Going this afternoon to check it out. :eek:

·
Registered
150 Posts
tried to pm canadian cray but no reply, i think he's bs'ing $10CDN per bag, cheapest i found was $30/bag of 50lbs

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
Here's the Western region suppliers too :)
BTW, they weren't kidding, the 3M guys do a great job of replying ASAP to your emails :)

Western Region Distributors
3M Sales Representative - Bill Brown - 800-924-0347

61 - 80 of 575 Posts