Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 575 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
I finally heard back from NT Ruddock. It's $21 for S grade, and $25 for T-grade.
Wow - I paid $22 for the T-grade a few weeks ago, and I thought that was expensive because everybody else claims to have gotten it for $18 (not from Ruddock though). Seems they charge whatever they feel like on a particular day :?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I still think that its cheaper than Tahitian Moon...I think I will be getting it, but right now, we're in the process of selling our house...I'm not about to set up a tank to take it apart again. So, I've gotta wait til June/July to get it. Now here is the REALLY tough part....West Africans or South American Dwarfs? :lol:

·
Registered
945 Posts
Few questions.....

Does anyone know where i could purchase the 3M Color Quartz in the nyc are

Does the substrate increase pH...if not how are all of you guys using this stuff keeping a high pH...

thanks
cc

side question...does home depot sand increase pH????

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could try either contacting 3m, and they could get you in touch with someone or you could try this place, NT Ruddock. They're based out of Cleveland and distribute to 5 states, I just don't know which 5. Their website is ntruddock.com (sorry, I'm admittedly technologically inept and unable to make it a link.) :oops:

As far as raising pH, fmueller has said that the coating is chemically inert, and I would guess from that statement that the crystalquartz won't affect pH. Most likely everyone is using some sort of buffering salts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In the UK 3M claim they don't make this product! They tried fobbing me off with 'alternative products' which were completely useless suggestions. I described it in detail in my follow up email, and the reply came back "sorry, 3M don't make such a product" In exasperation I emailed a photo of the bag I'd seen on a previous tank setup forum post, and said "this is what I want". Three weeks later and still no reply to that email....Perhaps they can't be bothered. I say they don't deserve our business!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I emailed 3m and got an emaeil back within 24 hours with a document attached that listed the various suppliers on the east coast, so if you ask them for supplier locations from their website they can get back at your really fast. One question though, if my fish aren't in the tank yet and i need to clean the colorquartz, and i have one of those python clean n fills, could i just dump in the colorquartz into the water and repeatedly suck out the much with the python instead of cleaning repeatedly with buckets?

·
Registered
703 Posts
You would have to syphon your water dozens of times to get it where you could even see the fish. This is some dirty stuff. I just filled my 100 gal w/ water and the water came clean within the hour, barely any discoloration at all. I have the black CQ and washed it for about an hour. It was worth it. I love the stuff. Will be getting some phots up soon.

BTW, I have some left over Tahitian Moon sand that I bought a while back. In comparing the Tahitian Moon and the Color Quartz, I can't tell the difference. I'll get a close-up shot of the both of them and post it soon too. Could it be the whoever markets the Tahitian Moon is just re-packaging 3M Color Quartz? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
6,888 Posts
vollogg, nice pics of your tank, that 3M substrate looks great!

Could it be the whoever markets the Tahitian Moon is just re-packaging 3M Color Quartz? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Very interesting question Tucker, Hmmmm, got me thinking :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does 3m have a natural looking dark tan color?I was looking on the links provided and as far as I can tell by the color chart it jumps from rose tan to light tan.I've been using pool filter sand for a few years and I'm reall tired of the whiteness of it(doesn't hide poo well at all).I was thinking of mixing 3M natural colored "T" grade(if there is one) and the light and dark grey colors they have.But which one is considered the natural dark tan :?:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I called them and they stated that they no longer ship 50lbs bags :x , but their web site still shows it :x

But....I found a supplier in MN : Sterling Supply 612-331-5125

21.88 black T grade and around 24.00 shipping and should be here this week :D

It's not local....but in ND anything with in 1000 miles IS local :p

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sterling Supply is great!

I buy all my sands from them. I've gotten great deals on 3M colorquartz (I was the one who initially stumbled on this product while buying my Red Flint sand from them.) They also have a Unimin sand, 50lbs for $6-7 that is near white. Red Flint sand and gravel is like $6/100lbs.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:DMy 3M Black T grade arrived today:D

It only took two days to get here and shipping was just $20. So all in all it's only cost me $45.00 to get 50lbs shipped 8)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Tuckernotis said:
You would have to syphon your water dozens of times to get it where you could even see the fish. This is some dirty stuff. I just filled my 100 gal w/ water and the water came clean within the hour, barely any discoloration at all. I have the black CQ and washed it for about an hour. It was worth it. I love the stuff. Will be getting some phots up soon.

BTW, I have some left over Tahitian Moon sand that I bought a while back. In comparing the Tahitian Moon and the Color Quartz, I can't tell the difference. I'll get a close-up shot of the both of them and post it soon too. Could it be the whoever markets the Tahitian Moon is just re-packaging 3M Color Quartz? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
I'm about to get some black sand. so are the two the same?
Can you provide pics?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I forgot all about taking the pictures. I'll try to do that tonight. Does anyone know exactly what Tahitian Moon is suppose to be made off? Natural black sand, slag, CQ?

21 - 40 of 575 Posts