Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Fmueller (one of the many people here) uses it. He told me that he had to contact 3M to find a distribution center. He said he tried calling pool places but they never heard of it. As far as cost, he told me it was less than half of Tahitian Moon Sand and completely safe. 3M's website says that the ColorQuartz is quartz crystal with ceramic coating. I would suggest you start at the source. I'm looking for it myself. What color are looking for...could it be....black?

·
Registered
165 Posts
I called 3M yesterday, and the girl there told me that the nearest ones by me (Central Ohio) is in Illinois and Kentucky. She told me they ship, but after the shipping charges are added, I might as well get Tahitian Moon...I've tried tile manufacturers (someone here said they tried tile places) but no dice. Sandy (at 3M) said that it isn't available retail wise, so would a pool mfr. be a good place to check?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Still no luck in finding any...I contacted the place fmueller had gotten his. They told me that there are no dealers/distributors of crystalquartz in Central Ohio. I'm going to try a few more places around here (Columbus) and maybe I'll get lucky.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Kinda funny that you should have to pay for rock...They can't give the stuff away up here. I guess everybody has something that they take for granted in their own part of the world...I finally heard back from NT Ruddock. It's $21 for S grade, and $25 for T-grade. For an additional $5, it comes in a bucket. It only gets sold in 50lb bags, so I suppose I could do both of my tanks. Hmmm.........I would like to see photos of the stuff in tanks, just so I can make my final decision on this.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I still think that its cheaper than Tahitian Moon...I think I will be getting it, but right now, we're in the process of selling our house...I'm not about to set up a tank to take it apart again. So, I've gotta wait til June/July to get it. Now here is the REALLY tough part....West Africans or South American Dwarfs? :lol:

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could try either contacting 3m, and they could get you in touch with someone or you could try this place, NT Ruddock. They're based out of Cleveland and distribute to 5 states, I just don't know which 5. Their website is ntruddock.com (sorry, I'm admittedly technologically inept and unable to make it a link.) :oops:

As far as raising pH, fmueller has said that the coating is chemically inert, and I would guess from that statement that the crystalquartz won't affect pH. Most likely everyone is using some sort of buffering salts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts