Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
scubaguy0177 said:
So I go down there to pick it up, money ready to go, and he just gave it to me...FOR FREE. WOOHOO!!!! :) :) :)
That is awesome!!!
Maybe you could send him a "Thank You" note with a picture of your tank once it is all done.

Rob

·
Registered
86 Posts
The 3M Color Quartz has gained favor as a much less expensive substitute for the Tahitian Moon Sand. Am I correct to assume that the Tahitian Moon Sand does not have buffering qualities and therefore has no inherent advantage over the use of the Color Quartz?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
86 Posts
CelticDragon said:
3m Color Quartz is a inert ceramic coated quartz crystal.....and does not leach or give off anything into the water, so it does not add any buffering to the tank water.

Celtic Dragon
Thanks CD-
I know that 3M Color Quartz is inert and is a very inexpensive and attractive substitute for those desiring the look of Tahitian Moon Sand.

My curiosity is whether or not the Tahitian Moon Sand offered attributes (i.e. buffering, etc.) that would make it more desirable to use (albeit at a much more expensive cost) for an African Cichlid aquarium. If the Tahitian Moon Sand does not offer such qualities, and itself is inert, then the choice of 3M Color Quartz seems even more practical to me.

·
Registered
86 Posts
scubaguy0177 said:
One of the most popular decorative sands, Tahitian Moon black sand is a great way to accent your brightly colored tropical fish. Can be used in fresh or saltwater. Will not affect pH.
That is a quote from the Carib-Sea website.
Thanks!
So it appears that for the purposes of an African Cichlid tank, the Tahitian Moon Sand offers no specific advantages other than aesthetic aspects.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts