Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just switched to using Black Color Quartz.....I will start a new thread, with pictures, once I have completed resetting up my tank. But so far bar from the long washing time it is going very well......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well I have just done my first large scale cleaning/vacuuming of the color quartz...and it exceeded my expectations. Due to that it is heavier than normal sand, I was able to vacuum it very much like you do with gravel, I had virtually no substrate being sucked up through my gravel cleaner. I will say this will make cleaning and churning the substrate very easy.

Celtic Dragon

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bryan,

If you mean you are going to set a Under Gravel Filter, Then Even if you use the 'T" grade which is larger I would not suggest it.....I don't see it floating up or away (the stuff is heavy for substrate) But I don't think there will be the needed empty space needed between each crystal and I would be concerned about it falling/clogging the UGF plates, which would starve the bacteria and kill it.

But as a substrate It is great.......

IMHO I would not use an UGF, I have seen much better results with canister and HOB filters.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This product is mainly used in Pool and non-skid flooring...it is mixed with either pool or concrete floor paint/sealer.

Like stated above, contact 3m rep. they will let you know where to get it in your area.

·
Registered
155 Posts
3m Color Quartz is a inert ceramic coated quartz crystal.....and does not leach or give off anything into the water, so it does not add any buffering to the tank water.

Celtic Dragon

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes Color Quartz can scratch an acrylic tank...it is quartz and is harder than most sand. but sand will scratch the tank as well...you just have to take care with both substrates to make sure when you clean it that no grains get between the acrylic and your cleaning device

Celtic Dragon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts