Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
I was wondering why 3M hasn't gotten the message that they are missing out on a good market. You'd think they'd want our money. I couldn't even get any of the local pool builders to get any. Seems no one is interesting in retailing this stuff. I'm having to get mine trucked in from Houston. Should be here tomorrow :D . Fortunately it's hitching a ride on a shipment coming in for my husband's business.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Seems like a business 101 duh to me too :? . Maybe with the cost of shipping and packaging, it would be more expensive than Tahitian Moon. It's like rocks. You guys in Colorado go down to the river and pick some up. I have to pay .46 a pound because of the cost to get it here.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Got my two bags of black CQ in. Guess my weekend will be spent washing sand. At least it's suppose to be hot this weekend. :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thanks for the warning.

BTW, I posted a question in the Equipment section about what lighting to sue with this substrate. Hope some of you that have CQ will chime in. It won't reflect light like sand so this may be a tough one.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You would have to syphon your water dozens of times to get it where you could even see the fish. This is some dirty stuff. I just filled my 100 gal w/ water and the water came clean within the hour, barely any discoloration at all. I have the black CQ and washed it for about an hour. It was worth it. I love the stuff. Will be getting some phots up soon.

BTW, I have some left over Tahitian Moon sand that I bought a while back. In comparing the Tahitian Moon and the Color Quartz, I can't tell the difference. I'll get a close-up shot of the both of them and post it soon too. Could it be the whoever markets the Tahitian Moon is just re-packaging 3M Color Quartz? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I forgot all about taking the pictures. I'll try to do that tonight. Does anyone know exactly what Tahitian Moon is suppose to be made off? Natural black sand, slag, CQ?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Black beauty is made from slag. That means it can contain a large amount of heavy metals and other toxic chemicals/ This doesn't necessarily mean they will contaminate your water but it also doesn't mean it won't. Depends on the particular batch of material you have.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Thrice said:
Anyone ever mixed it with agronite/crushed coral? could be a cool look.
I think I will just get white then if its to white mix in some off white sand or what ever.
I tried mixing some pool filter sand w/ some color quartz in my 55 gal but the grain size was too different. The CQ just sits on top. I don't like the look at all. Next time I decide to pull all the rocks out, I'm replacing with one or the other. I have T grade black CQ exclusively in my 100 gal it looks and cleans up great.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Let's see how long this photo works. Here's a photo of the pool filter sand and CQ. Granted there is more PFS than CQ now but you can clearly see the grain size difference and howit sits on top of the PFS.

Hap. sp 44 "Thick Skin" female

·
Registered
703 Posts
mambee said:
2 concerns regarding CQ:
The bag has warnings regarding possible carcinogenics and against contact with skin.

Should I be worried?

Mike
Answer: NO.
The carcinogen is the dust. Silica dust is a known carcinagen. Of course that's only if you are a sandblaster working without a mask for 30 years. Since we are using the sand wet and in very small quantities there is no problem.

Now for the reason 3M and Dura-Flex (nice find BTW) will not endorse their stuff for aquarium use. They don't want to do the bioassays and all the other research involved to get something they can label as "Aquarium Safe". They sell much more quanitity to pool builders to not have to market to us peons. Consider that the average pool builder buys a thousand pounds of the stuff and we buy, what, 50#. Do the math. Not worth their while.

I'm just as happy with my CQ without their marketing. They would have to double the price and package it in 20# bags for PetSmart or Pets R Us and we would be back to the same price as Tahitian Moon. Let's just keep it our little secret. :wink:

See my black CQ under My Tanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts