Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally new to the cichlid thing but when I saw these backgrounds being done here I had to try.

rough pattern

cut and laid out on backerboard

after rough shaping

final shaping

First coat of drylok

After second coat stood up and I turned the flash off so that the shadows could show.

I still have to colour it , but its a start.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It's a good start! (I like the bottom rock- second one from the right) What colors are you going to use?
Are you going to put a black backround in the back of the tank?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree the second from the right and the rock above it are excellent work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,
I ts painted now mostly browns with some tan and a hint of green. There will be a black background on the back of the tank but this back ground will sit 2 inches or so off the back wall and the openings will be small caves built into it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are the "caves" with a coat of drylok

Siliconed in place , I forgot to take a picture but the inside of the cave is painted to match the front of the background.Here you can alos see the fittings for the outflows. Water will flow from the caves into the tank and return to the pump via the openings covered in mesh.

Mesh over the openings

I'll get some pics from the front once this has all cured.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Looks like a good start. I think i would have gone for a little bit more depth or detail in all of the rocks, like you did in the rock everyone is talking about, but it looks pretty good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In hind sight I would have done that as well, but in all honesty those two rocks were a complete after thought. My other issue is space, because the tank is only 13" and I need 2 1/2" behind the BG for the pump and filterI fwas loosing space in front awfully quick. I am hoping that with a few plants, rocks and a piece of Driftwood or two I'll be able to get depth that way.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it looks great! Can't wait to see the end result :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
test fit into the tank

the filter setup (crappy cell phone pic)

Tank up and running

In the last shot the tank has had water in it for 5 days. I have been using 'Cycle' to help it along before adding fish.
I have to read up on this fishless cycling thing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Absolutely beautiful! Love the different colors in the filter system :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Nice build!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
m1ke715m said:
cycle does nothing unless there are fish in the tank
Yeah, I was coming to that same conclusion.
So am I better off buying some Tetras and keep using Cycle or starting over and trying to do a true fishless cycle?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
natedgg said:
How are you ever going to clean the filter?
The scrubbies are easily removed, as is the pump(there is one more sponge filter on the pump itself.

Hopefully once it is up and running, I won't have to rinse out the filter media too often. If that doesn't pan out I some other ideas, (there is enough room for a penguin 350 behind the background). If thats the case the pump will revert to circulation only.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts