Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Uh.... I may have made a few mistakes in the setup of this tank.

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite are all at 0ppm.

Ph is about 7.6

Filtration: One 40-gallon rated Top Fin HOB, one 45-gallon rated Tetra HOB, and one 75-gallon rated sponge filter with a chunky air pump.

The stock list: (Where things get bad)
  • One yellow lab
  • 3 local-caught minnows
  • 3 local- caught crayfish
  • One opaline gourami (Don't ask)
  • One cobalt blue zebra
  • One Kenyi
  • One Auratus

Sooooo, this is probably a disaster waiting to happen.

The first red flags are probably the crays. However, I have had them for over a year with little to no problems. One of them simply hides all day long in a burrow, one of them rules the seafloor, and the other (the smallest) is often seen precariously perched on top of the rock pile. The one that rules the seafloor is the boss. He is MASSIVE. Probably pushing nine inches in length. However, all three are slow and never catch any fish.

The minnows just mind their own business, along with the gourami.

The cichlids are very interesting, with distinct personalities. The cobalt and kenyi seem to be at perpetual war with the kenyi usually on top. However, he does not bully the cobalt to death or even near it. Sometimes, their quarrels are entertaining. The yellow lab generally minds his own business, but is sometimes chased by the others. The Auratus, (sold as a bumblebee) is extremely docile, oddly enough. he just swims around happily all day long.

I am considering restocking with Demasoni and more Yellow Labs. Thoughts?

The tank with my dog, a golden retriever-irish setter mix.
Gas Electric blue Midnight Space Darkness

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is 36'

The crayfish have molted multiple times with absolutely no issues.

Yes, the cobalt may be female. 100% agree with you on the issue of aggression.

idk what is up with my nitrate test, i use the api master kit. Will test again asap. Tank is cycled.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts