Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new 36gal bowfront set up. It has finished cycling and ready for fish! I was thinking about Dwarfs or Shellies. Any ideas on a stock list? I have only kept Africans in a 55 and 75. Thanks for the help...

·
Banned
29 Posts
There are lots of choices as that is a great tank, you will use it for a long time, and it also makes a great reef tank, if you ever decide to go Marine :wink:

I cant think of any better though than what Frank suggested, but some of us tend to have our own favorites, and he picked two of mine on the first guess, How did that happen :dancing:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well depends do you still have the 55 or 75 up and running with african cichlids? If so I suggest some SA/CA dwarf cichlids. How about some rams or kribs. If you wanted to you could always get several and see if any start to breed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I am going to go with shellies. Any idea on how many to stock in the begining? I know they breed regularly. 2m 4fm?

·
Registered
59 Posts
two to three at a time is a good rate if you're doing more females to males on a 2:1 rate you should probably put in two females and a male for starters then wait a while and put in the next set.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I disagree, If you are doing shellies, pick one species and dump 10-12 in all in one shot, it will be more fun to watch them interact.

edit: maybe more like 8, but more than 3

·
Registered
162 Posts
shellies215 said:
I disagree, If you are doing shellies, pick one species and dump 10-12 in all in one shot, it will be more fun to watch them interact.
+1
I also agree with frank1rizzo that some alto comps or calvus would be a great addition.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yes, I also agree calvus or comps would make a good addition to a 38 gal. shellie tank. I have a 40 gallon (36x18x16) with 8 occelatus, and 3 black calvus

1 - 10 of 10 Posts