Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Big YES to the Neo. multifasciatus. They would be a perfect choice for a 33 long. Get some Bahamian Aragonite Sand, some extra large escargot shells off of Amazon and sit back and watch the little community develop and grow. While they may not be the most colorful fish out there they more than make up for it with their social behavior & multigenerational spawnings. One of my favorite tanks. Every time I look in there I see new babies. While some people will mix in some Julies & multis I prefer to have species only tanks with these fish. So...options...
1. Neo multis (my favorite choice)
2. Neo brichardis (a close 2nd that also exhibit multi generational spawning)
3. Julidochromis (my preference would be dickfeldi, ornatus, transcriptus in that order). Prefer a bigger tank for marlieri.
You can't go wrong with any of these single species only tanks. They will all provide years of enjoyment. As an added bonus you can always sell any of these species juveniles.

·
Registered
682 Posts
ALSO I am doing research on what shells to purchase for the multis, and would prefer to get the ones that actually come from the lake (Neothauma tanganyicense I believe), however they are extremely expensive and I know I need a lot of shells per fish. I also have read it may not be good for the lake/fish to be exporting them out, so I don't know if I want to support that although I need to do more research. Anyways, if anyone has recommendations on the best shell to use for multis I would appreciate that advice. I want to make my tank as close to a proper Tanganyikan biotope as possible within reason.
Thanks for any help in advance! I am super excited to finally start keeping cichlids.
Noah the multis are going to bury most of these shells anyways so why waste money on a shell where you will only see some of it and an opening. Quite frankly it is a waste of money. This is all you need...
In my tank I also placed a large Texas holey Rock for a sight break in the middle of the tank. They dug underneath and breed in there too.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I also already happen to have a bunch of this sand on hand. But I am not sure if it is ideal for the Multis or if I should buy a different Aragonite sand for them. (For example that same brand has one specific for cichlids) AQUANATURAL Oolitic Aragonite Aquarium Sand

If I am going with a species tank for the multis, I want the most ideal sand for them of course. So I won't mind buying one slightly different if that is better.
The sand you have listed will work fine. It's good stuff & helps buffer the water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts