Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 33 gallon tank and i already have two cichlids as of now in a diferent tank which i will put i nthe new one when ready. I was wondering if the tank would be to crowded w/ one more cichlid and a pleco that wont grow forever. The fish i have now are a yellow lab, and a pseudotropheus. I want to begin my cycle this week, and i was going to add a pleco to speed up my cycle. I am going to use material from my current tank filter, and put some of the gravel in a sock and hang it in the tank while it cycles. I cant add the gravel from my existing tank because the fsh in there need it, and i have sand in my new tank anyway. Any additional stocking ideas would be great along w/ some other pointers before i kick of my cycling!

the tank is three feet long exactly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If you are using the old filter media from an old tank there should't be any problems as far as a cycle. Keep an eye on it but the risk is low from my experience. Only tank i've ever had to cycle was my first one. From there I used the filters from old ones and never ran into a cycle.

I tend to understock things but I would suggest a couple more yellow labs. Most people keep them in groups.

I'm not sure about the psudotropheus. I'm planning on getting some someday but haven't yet so I haven't done the research.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kingpoiuy said:
If you are using the old filter media from an old tank there should't be any problems as far as a cycle. Keep an eye on it but the risk is low from my experience. Only tank i've ever had to cycle was my first one. From there I used the filters from old ones and never ran into a cycle.

I tend to understock things but I would suggest a couple more yellow labs. Most people keep them in groups.

I'm not sure about the psudotropheus. I'm planning on getting some someday but haven't yet so I haven't done the research.
thanks for the feedback. My lab owns the psuedotropheus. Chasses him all over the tank. thats why i upgraded to the 33 gal. But i figured since i got some more room id add some more fish.

Also, or anyone lese out there, i just found some sweet rocks, but i can tell some have quartz, and most have rust on them which leads me to beleive they have iron in them. Is this bad, should i not use these becuse of the iron oxides?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kingpoiuy said:

thanks for the feedback. My lab owns the psuedotropheus. Chasses him all over the tank. thats why i upgraded to the 33 gal. But i figured since i got some more room id add some more fish.

Also, or anyone lese out there, i just found some sweet rocks, but i can tell some have quartz, and most have rust on them which leads me to beleive they have iron in them. Is this bad, should i not use these becuse of the iron oxides?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Adult labs are 5 inches long, so, yeah, your tank will be too small in the long run. When immature and small, you can have a trio in a 30 gallon (or even more if they're really small), but you will need to upgrade eventually. I think a 50 is considered a good minimum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts