Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, im new to posting on this forum, but have been using it extensively in my research, but i figure this might be easier then searching for a few weeks.

Have a new 33 gallon long (36" long) tank setup, that is waiting for its cycling to start (im away on Vacation, so have water running but no bioload). I do have the foam insert of my new filter running in a filter on my smaller tank for 2 weeks, and will use the "Biomax" from my other filter as well when i get back to get the cycle ahead of schedule.

So i have a few questions regarding a stocking list (i'd rather have a pair or a couple of each species, versus a specie specific tank). I understand that i may be a little ambitious with my list, but i am more concerned with compatibility than size of my tank.

- J Transcriptus or Julidochromis ornatus or dickfeldi

- Orange leleupi

-Altolamprologus calvus

- Neo. Multi

- Cyprichromis leptosoma

From what i've seen at my LFS, most of these are available (though the Multis might be a little tough to get).

Also, would the Leleupi be a good choice to cycle with? I had my tank setup prior to my vacation but didnt want to get fish in it to ditch them, so have no interest in doing the Fishless cycle, as it's been empty for about a month.

Heres a photo of my fishless tank. I've moved my filter to the left side (behind the rocks), put the heater horizontal behind the rocks and below the filter for best heat dispersion. I've also removed the air bubbler, and added a powerhead at the far right side. If i do get Multis, obviously i'd need some better shells. Sorry for the low quality photo, it was taken with my phone.

One other question, does anyone buy fish off of Kijiji/Craigslist with decent luck?

Thanks for all the help!

Brent

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I'd go with just the calvus and the multis.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
It'll be a great tank once you get it going... but your stocking list has a few problems...

First- cyps need a larger/longer tank to thrive- especially if it's a community tank. Depending on what other species you choose, you could try Paracyprichromis instead.

Leleupi can get mean... really mean. They'll claim the whole bottom of the tank and can easily kill shellies.

Either calvus OR J. transcriptus/ornatus would work well- but if you want shellies, you'll need to pick one rock dweller. With any of these species, you should start with a few extra to make sure you get a compatible group (see numbers below).

A suggested stocking list for you:

6 J. transcriptus (to get a pair/trio, remove the extras)
5 L. multifaciatus
5-8 Paracyprichromis

As far as "cycling" with fish, don't do it. Just don't. :wink:

However, if you've got a seeded filter and some substrate from another tank (take a handful in a mesh bag), you'll be good to go. Also, if your 33g was cycled within the last several weeks, there will still be some resident bacteria that will be happy to wake up and eat N. When you put new fish in, feed VERY lightly (only what they can eat in 30 seconds each day) for the first week, monitoring ammonia and nitrite every day. If you see ANY, do a large water change and add Prime water conditioner. You may not see NH3 or NO2 at all, and may just see increasing nitrate (NO3)- which means the tank is cycled.

With buying fish from private folks you don't know, ask about their stock, their routines, water conditions, insist on getting pictures of the actual fish you'd be buying. Hobbyist trades are pretty common for Tang cichlids, and you might be pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. If I can't find Multis would the Leleupi have a place in the tank?
They're pretty cool looking fish, or if you had any other suggestions of a brightly colored Tang that'll work

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Both leleupi and J. Regani are going to grow into aggressive beasts that will claim more territory than their neghbors can handle in this tank size. You can always try combining 2 rock dwellers but have a contigency plan for moving harassed fish if it doesn't work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I rearrange and get a rock pile on both sides of the tank with space between, could I combine two rock dwellers, and a larger shelly in the middle?

Any recommendation of a highly colored tang that'll work? I love the tang behavior but would also like a bit of color

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You could try mixing a yellow comp or calvus with j. ornatus. For a 36" tank, I'd think small on the shellie's also. Gold occie's maybe, since you want color. You might then need a non-cichild dither to bring out the rock dwellers. Another opportunity to add some color.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
prov356 said:
You could try mixing a yellow comp or calvus with j. ornatus. For a 36" tank, I'd think small on the shellie's also. Gold occie's maybe, since you want color. You might then need a non-cichild dither to bring out the rock dwellers. Another opportunity to add some color.
Are you suggesting 4 species, three of which need a sizeable portion of the tank's footprint for territory? :) Calvus plus julies plus occies- that sounds like what I'd put in a 55 gallon tank, not what I would suggest for somebody's first Tanganyikan cichlids in a 33 gallon tank. :wink:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Pairs of juli's and calvus don't require 36". Neither do occies. Calvus get along with just about anything. Very doable IME. And the fourth is a non-cichlid dither, so doesn't really count. And is very needed to bring out the calvus. A small group of zebra danios or similar would do great. If he wants 6 or more of juli's/calvus/occies to stay permanently, then we'd have problems. Add 4-6 to start and be ready to remove any that need to be removed.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
As you can see- there are many options and opinions. :lol: Prov has a lot of experience and often gives great advice on Tangs. :thumb:

Good luck in finding what works for you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts