Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Recent lurker, first time poster.

I've "casually" had cichlids before (julie, yellow lab & N.brichardi), but am planning to do a dedicated tank. This has been in progress for over 10 yrs. so i hope that by posting this i will finally go through with it.

I have a ~30 gal tank (36x12x18). Just about done painting the back. I have tons of rocks and some sand to put in it. Just need to finish the stand (stain, seal and add doors). Well the doors can wait... fish are more important. :wink: So i'm finally getting close.

Having avidly read and re-read the info here, i'm scratching brichardis off my list, and have added calvus. How does this list look?
2-3 julies
2-3 N.leleupi
1 calvus
I'm not looking to necessarily breed/raise fry. If it happens, cool! I was kinda hoping the calvus might act as population control... (my son's mollies just had 50+ fry and i dont want that happening multiple times per yr). So... feasible?

Thanks to all for the great info on this site. I call it my enCICHlopedia. :)

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The julies and calvus are certainly fine, although I'd do 2-3 calvus instead of just 1. The leleupi have a bad reputation, but haven't kept them, so I'll defer. I'd consider dropping the leleupi and going with paracyps or a shell dweller. You've got 3 rock dwellers now in only 36" of space.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! So my revised list is now 2-3 julies, 2 calvus (would the plural be calvii), and either 1 leleupi or 2 paracyps. Are paracyps and calvus easily obtainable? I remember seeing comps in the past, but not calvus.

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I would even say only one rock dweller for a 36" tank. I had one with a pair of calvus and a pair of caudopunctatus and it was a great tank!

·
Registered
656 Posts
skwerl said:
Thanks! So my revised list is now 2-3 julies, 2 calvus (would the plural be calvii), and either 1 leleupi or 2 paracyps. Are paracyps and calvus easily obtainable? I remember seeing comps in the past, but not calvus.
I think the plural would be calvususes, and I sent you a pm where you can get all these fish not too far from roseland.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I think in a 3' tank you have a few nice options.....

Parcyprichromis Niripinnis (blue neon) , Neolamprologus Multifasciatus

Julidochromis (rocks at one end of the tank) shell dwellers at the other

Caudopunctatus , gold or pearl occelatus , maybe Kungweensis

Calvus , Caudounctatus
Calvus , shell dwellers
Calvus , Paracyps (?) (would this one work)?

I would scrap the Leleupi :fish:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts