Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 30g tank currently cycling and would ideally like to put two or three types of fish into the tank. I've read a fair bit and have seen many combinations but thought would ask what you would recommend for someone new(species and # of fish). Look for a nice tank to enjoy with the family and that I could grow with should I really enjoy having fish.

Tank is 12.5d*30l*23h (inches), which makes it about a 31g tank.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You are somewhat limited with that size tank, but you could do a lovely, planted South American tank with either a pair of blue rams or a trio of apistos and a school of tetras, with some corie cats for the bottom and a bristlenose pleco (they stay small) for algae control.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After some help from this and other forums went with

4 white Zebras
3 Yellow Labs
3 Acei
1 bn pleco

All are Juvies and the tank has lots of rock work.

Comments thoughts?

I know I might have too many fish but once I can determine sex, I figure some will have to go back.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
You may end up selling a few of those guys down the road. The Mbuna that you got will like to stay down in the bottom of the tank and that tank has a small footprint since its too tall which makes it 'smaller' with respect to the Mbuna.

I just scrolled up and read that you already planned on taking some back. However, the Acei and Labs like to have a few females per male so you may end up going with the all male tank.

Setup looks really nice good luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Those fish will outgrow a 30-gallon tank. You'll need a least a 55, altho p. acei probably need a 75. (I have one in my 60 gallon that I've been trying to catch for months as he'll get too big for the tank, but he refuses to be caught.) Both labs and acei like groups so your trios are fine. They are dififcult/impossible to sex unless one is holding. Not sure why the other poster suggested an all male tank. You don't need to go that route with acei and labs.

I don't keep zebras, so can't comment, but I'm pretty sure you have a risk of hybridization with this mix, with the labs and the zebras, so you shouldn't really distribute fry out of this tank.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that would make an excellent grow out tank but it is to small for the fish you are keeping.
Get a bigger tank :D

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The fish look small still, so you have a few months up your leave.
If you do go with a larger tank both Acei and Labs need to be in groups of about 5.
Labs and Acei are both forgiving when it comes to male/female ratios but always try to aim for 1m/4f as much as you can with any african. Both them fishes sex are impossible to tell without venting, maybe buy more then you intend to keep and sell the extra males once you established which are which

1 - 10 of 10 Posts