Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone.
I have a 300 litre aquarium which is around 3months old.
My stocking is:
2 electric blue acara.
2 angels, 1koi, 1 panda
1 red tail black shark
3 Cory catfish
2 bristlenose
The fish are all young.
Do you think I can add some more fish?
Maybe another angel or something else.
Maybe another cichlid or some live barers.
Any suggestions would be great fully appreciated.
My tank is well planted.
I run 2 Eheim canisters , a 2215 & 2217.
Dimensions are 1210 x 500x500
Thankyou all

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Hello!
Be careful of falling into the 'Baby Fish Trap'. That is.... these little guys are just sooooo small. And the tank they are in is really big!
I'll just add a couple more of these guys.
Maybe one of those....
Oh yeah, gotta put two of those in there!
And so, you wind up with way too many fish in the aquarium once adult sizes are attained. A problem.
I like everything you have in there now, and would personally not add any more Cichlids to a tank that size. But yes, you are sort of missing some active non-Cichlid fish. Dithers?
I'm a big fan of live bearers such as Sword Tails stocked in a community tank like this. Some medium sized, more peaceful Tetras would be a great alternative to that (and would be biotope appropriate for the South American Cichlid species in the aquarium). Other non-Cichlid dither fish choices you could consider would be the Giant Danio. They aren't that big, but seem to be moving at breakneck speeds just about all the time when in a community tank. Those Asian Cyprinids would be a good, (live plant safe) addition, if you are looking to add liveliness and more visual movement to the aquarium. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello. Appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
Yes I kind of thought I couldn’t put in another cichlid. Another Angel I was thinking was probably pushing it!
I like the swordtails though. I might put , what, 4 to 6 of them in ,also another couple of Cory catfish?
I understand what your saying regarding the fish reaching adulthood.
I realise that.
But in your opinion, definitely not another Angel.
Thank you for your time

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Sounds great!
Adding 7 - 9 Swordtails to your aquarium will definitely change the dynamic and visual 'look'. Now, as for those Corydoras catfish...
That is a mixed bag of tricks.
A good outcome would be if your Electric Blue Acara just basically wind up ignoring those little guys, or sort of half-heartedly chase them around a bit. A bad outcome (depending on the individual personality and temperament of your adult-sized Electric Blue Acaras) could be, well.... dead Corydoras catfish. :(
So, if you don't want to risk those little Corys, and have another (safer?) tank available to place them in? You might want to consider that. To replace those Corydoras catfish, you could stock with a 5 member school of larger growing, Pimelodus pictus catfish (10 - 12.5 cm) or possibly Megalechis thoracata, Hoplo catfish (12.5 - 15 cm). Those larger growing, pretty boisterous catfish should be able to handle the aggression posed by your pair of Electric Blue Acaras in that 300 liter sized aquarium.
NOTE: By adding either of those larger-growing catfish species plus the Swordtails with the individual numbers recommended to the aquarium, your tank will definitely be FULL UP. No more fish!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds great!
Adding 7 - 9 Swordtails to your aquarium will definitely change the dynamic and visual 'look'. Now, as for those Corydoras catfish...
A good outcome would be if your Electric Blue Acara just basically wind up ignoring those little guys, or sort of half-heartedly chase them around a bit. A bad outcome (depending on the individual personality and temperament of your adult-sized Electric Blue Acaras) could be, well.... dead Corydoras catfish. :(
So, if you don't want to risk those little Corys, and have another (safer?) tank available to place them in? You might want to consider that. To replace those Corydoras catfish, you could stock with a 5 member school of larger growing, Pimelodus pictus catfish (10 - 12.5 cm) or possibly Megalechis thoracata, Hoplo catfish (12.5 - 15 cm). Those larger growing, pretty boisterous catfish should be able to handle the aggression posed by your pair of Electric Blue Acaras in that 300 liter sized aquarium.
NOTE: By adding either of those larger-growing catfish species plus the Swordtails with the individual numbers recommended to the aquarium, your tank will definitely be FULL UP. No more fish!
Good day.
Thank you for your time.
I will research those catfish.
I might go with some swordtails, I’m pretty pleased I could go for 7-9 of them.
I guess I’m just looking to add a bit more colour and activity to the aquarium. Guess I’m better off doing that than adding another angel. But, let’s hope the Cory catfish are left alone in future. I’ll keep an eye out .
I’m not just trying to max out my aquarium, i just want to add something that will get along with the EBA.
Would you have any other suggestions thanthe swordtails, an alternative?
Again. Thankyou for your help.
Regards

·
Super Moderator
5,820 Posts
Hmmmmm....
Would you have any other suggestions than the swordtails, an alternative?
Okay then. If you would like to consider another tough sort of live bearer, you can always look at those slightly smaller growing Platys and Mollies (The supposedly once, 'bread & butter' fish of the aquarium keeping hobby?). Stock with those in the same numbers as the Swordtails.
For Tetras, you could look at a variety of more peaceful (NO Serpaes!) medium sized species that would work fine. Bleeding Hearts, Black Widows/Black Skirt and Diamond Tetras are all examples of the type that would make good additions to the tank. Stock with 9 - 11 individuals of those smaller growing fish for a nice group. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi!!😃
I just love Gouramis!! They have a lot of personality and they're a "different" sort of fish for they have gills and lungs and they are completely hardy and very easy to raise!😃
Sounds great!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi!!😃
I just love Gouramis!! They have a lot of personality and they're a "different" sort of fish for they have gills and lungs and they are completely hardy and very easy to raise!😃
Hello.
yes , I’ve kept some gouramis before.
But. With this tank I think I won’t put any in.
I am struggling to think of fish to add to this aquarium.
I am not sold on swordtails or Platys just now. Not even sure about tetras. Maybe bleeding hearts or lemons.
I just can’t think what else to put in there with the Angels and EBA
Regards

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello.
yes , I’ve kept some gouramis before.
But. With this tank I think I won’t put any in.
I am struggling to think of fish to add to this aquarium.
I am not sold on swordtails or Platys just now. Not even sure about tetras. Maybe bleeding hearts or lemons.
I just can’t think what else to put in there with the Angels and EBA
Regards
Hi!😃
I have Black Khulis with my Angelfish and aquatic Dwarf African frogs and they all get along very well!😃 another idea, that's all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts