Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 300 gallon tanks water level is about a half inch higher on the left side of tank than the right side. It is sitting on 1/2 foam padding. Is this an acceptable difference?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I would adjust/level the stand. Measure from the water to the stand to see if it is off. The water is level..... anything not paralell with the water is not.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I would say 1/2 an inch is a little too much. Try some shims under the stand. although, you may have to remove most of the water to get the shimms under the stand.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
If the stand is not flat… then this creates “differential pressureâ€

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toby_H said:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toby_H said:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
It sounds to me like you are safe structurally... and I make this call based on the fact you are using 1/2" foam between the tank & stand...

It sounds to me like the only 'problem' it has is the visual aspect of the water being at different levels at opposite ends of the tank... if that's cool with you then your cool...

Of course your the one looking at the tank, so take my opinion and look at your set up to see if you notice anything I have overlooked....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A buddy of mine, who built the stand for me for free, quite a guy, suggested using a floor jack to pop up the left side of tank with the elevated water level. Once we get the tank level, we use longer 2x4's to stabalize the tank levelng it. This sounds to me like a brilliant solution but it does seem to have a risk.

What do you think?

·
Registered
133 Posts
lestatak said:
A buddy of mine, who built the stand for me for free, quite a guy, suggested using a floor jack to pop up the left side of tank with the elevated water level. Once we get the tank level, we use longer 2x4's to stabalize the tank levelng it. This sounds to me like a brilliant solution but it does seem to have a risk. What do you think?
I'm not an expert on structural issues in regards to aquariums, but if it were me I would not attempt to do any of this with a full tank. If I was bent on leveling a tank, I'd be sure to drain it completely, remove the fish and the bulk of the decor, and do it empty using a level. It seems too risky to me to manipulate/level a tank when it's stocked.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with jimmyknuckles, using a floorjack on a tank full of water is not a brilliant idea. Save some time and grief by emptying the tank first before leveling it. Its a few hours of work but better to be safe than sorry. Also, the 1/2" difference is huge. The maximum difference allowed is 1/4" for acrylic but usually you want it at 1-2mm.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"The maximum difference allowed is 1/4" for acrylic but usually you want it at 1-2mm."

Where is did you get this info?

·
Registered
746 Posts
IMO its not the best idea to rely on anecdotal information from any website to answer this question. Contact the manufacturer. In my experience the manufacturer told me that an off level tank doesn't matter, but what works for my tank may not be true for any other brand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts