Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
You are reading way way too much into the carnivore vs. omnivore. All the foods that say "cichlid" on them will provide the proper nutrition for any mbuna, peacock, hap you may have. Actually, the more actual meat you have in their diet the more likely they are to catch bloat and die. So realistically, what you should do is just buy New life spectrum cichlid pellets (the brand many of us use) and not worry about who is eating what food.

I am curious why you are not interested in the saulosi... You will have the same colors as in the demasoni yellow lab tank except it will be weighted more towards the yellow side than the blue side. The subdom male saulosi's provide a curious look that makes it look like you have three different types of fish in the tank. The only reason I bring it up is because demasoni are really not a beginner fish as they have a tendency to totally destroy eachother. Also since fogel suggested 15 demasoni and you changed it to 8... you can't do that with demasoni because you need enough punching bags in the group that one fish doesn't feel targetted. The saulosi are going to be a much more foregiving option. Realize that you won't be able to get saulosi from a big box LFS, so if your logic is that you wanted to go to a big box store to get your fish then I am OK with that logic.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think you will find cichlids to be more work than your tropicals from a mitigating aggression standpoint. I agree that the colors of the demasoni are really striking, but I would make sure you read DJ's post several times and are ready for that (and if you are, then awesome!).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts