Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 30 gallon bowfront tank.
What will be a good stock list for this tank.
I know it's kind of small, but want to have something that works.
I prefer tangs, but will be open for others also.
Thanks in advance.

William

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
Thanks! Any of the shell dwelling cichlids should work well with those tank dimensions as well as the smallest Julidochromis species. Take a look at This article from the Library for some suggestions.

If you can get them 'Lamprologus' caudopunctatus is a pretty cichlid and would also use more of the height of the tank and they prefer piled rocks rather than shells to hide and spawn in.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions Deeda.
The caudopunctatus looks really nice.
How many of the shell dwellers can I have?

Any suggestions on other set ups, like Malawi, CA, SA??

Or should I ask the same question on the other sub-forum.

·
Super Moderator
2,008 Posts
The tank would be too small for any Malawi, IMO. I haven't kept any CA or SA but you may want to check out some Apistogramma in the South American Species Profiles section at the top of the page.

'Lamprologus' multifasciatus or similis would form a colony, require shells and minimal sand substrate and you could start with 6 juveniles. 'L.' caudopunctatus should also start with 6 juveniles.

My suggestion would be to look through the Species Profiles for fish that appeal to you and remain small as adults as well as what might be available at stores near you unless you are considering ordering online. It's always nice to have a general idea of what you want since there are so many species available though some may be more difficult to find sometimes.

You also may be limited by your water source on soft water species if you have hard water and vice versa. I find it easier to pick fish that work with my water parameters than having to adjust for certain species.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts