Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do "Eureka Peacocks" prefer open space or rock habitat?

Is gravel and a few fake plants with rocks, 2 Aquaclear Filters - 110 & 150 with #3060 150 Watts Eheim/Jager Heater sufficient?

I would like to add 2 more, is this ok? When should I add the other 2? What is the max # for a 30G. I will upgrade as they grow.

Thank you

·
Registered
191 Posts
you mean you've already got two or so right?

they will quickly outgrow a 30 gallon i kept my smaller two in a 55 gallon all male setup and they were still killing each other.

in my opinion you should give the two new ones a miss or get a bigger tank like a 75-90g
this is just mpo. :thumb:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aussieafricans said:
you mean you've already got two or so right?

they will quickly outgrow a 30 gallon i kept my smaller two in a 55 gallon all male setup and they were still killing each other.

>>>in my opinion you should give the two new ones a miss or get a bigger tank like a 75-90g
this is just mpo. :thumb:

Only have 2 (got them today). Approx. 2" & 2.5" minimum.

Pls explain >>> "give the 2 new ones a miss" - - a female???

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would 6 mths be too long to house the both of them in the 30G?

I am not sure what sex they are (not coloured). Just tinges of orange/gold on their anal fin.
At what age/size do they start to colour up where you can sex them?

Thank you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
they usually start to colour up around 3-4 inches(if they're males of course).
females can colour up very little but are easily told apart from the males unless the sub-dominant male isnt colouring up so he doesnt get harrased to death.

even if you did get a male and a female you really do need to get more females to distribute the aggression between them. so in the end your gonna need a bigger tank anyway. i would upgrade tank size now and get the fish you want. you shouldnt really keep those fish in a 30 gallon due to aggression etc......

good luck with your fish :thumb:

BEN

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you aussieafricans and kingpoiuy. I am unable to upgrade for a few months. I will watch the aggression level.

I can try to exchange (1) of them and get (1) other tank mate? If unable to return/exchange for another mate @ the LFS, will it be detrimental to add 1 or 2 small females to help the aggression as mention (for a few months) until I can get a larger tank? I understand the size is an issue, so just want to know my options if I am unable to exchange/return them.

If I'm able to exchange both of them. What other Africans can I have in a 30G for about 6 months and how many? I love the one's with colour. The LFS is limited. They have baby Labs or Usisya Peacocks would these be ok instead?

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Eureka peacocks are jacobfriebergi and the more aggressive of the peacocks. For a 30 gallon with long-range plans to upgrade, I'd personally trade in one or both and get three small labs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts