Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gal mbuna tank (yes, I know it's on the small side but that is not something I can change right now). Currently I have 9 fish. Right now I have one fish that is bigger than all the rest and just dominates all the rest. They have good hiding places with some Anubias and Java Ferns I planted and several smaller rock structures. I am considering a couple options. I am thinking of either adding one more bigger one to give the big dominant one a more formidable distraction, or adding a couple more smaller ones the same size as the rest to increase the overcrowding/more distractions concept. Perhaps neither is preferable? Any advice? (besides to get a bigger tank) I know we want overcrowding but how much is too much in a long 36" 30 gal?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I would suggest 1m:4f of all one species of a small, peaceful mbuna like saulosi or Cynotilapia zebroides.

·
Registered
767 Posts
DJRansome said:
I would suggest 1m:4f of all one species of a small, peaceful mbuna like saulosi or Cynotilapia zebroides.
Good advice.

We've had good results with ps. saulosi, cynotilapia jalo reef,and cynotilapia hara in smaller single species tanks. Of these three, the hara has been the more aggressive and difficult in smaller tanks.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
jtrezzo said:
I have a 30 gal mbuna tank (yes, I know it's on the small side but that is not something I can change right now). Currently I have 9 fish. Right now I have one fish that is bigger than all the rest and just dominates all the rest. They have good hiding places with some Anubias and Java Ferns I planted and several smaller rock structures. I am considering a couple options. I am thinking of either adding one more bigger one to give the big dominant one a more formidable distraction, or adding a couple more smaller ones the same size as the rest to increase the overcrowding/more distractions concept. Perhaps neither is preferable? Any advice? (besides to get a bigger tank) I know we want overcrowding but how much is too much in a long 36" 30 gal?
What fish do you have now? Yes, numbers help but you don't want larger fish or the most problem fish in a smaller tank.

You can't fix a problem tank with hiding places IMO, Mbuna are very smart are understanding their 3D space. You don't really want a tank where the fish are scared to swim about anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.