Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will I have any problems mixing multis and caudopunks in a 36x18 tank?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'd probably establish one before the other. Put the multi's in a corner of an empty tank. Let them get established, then add the rock pile and caudo's. When the caudo's start to get some size, add a few shells near their rocks. Let the multi's get established a bit by raising some fry, so you'll know they'll push the caudo's out if they get interested in their turf. I don't see caudo's going after and killing multi's like some lamps are known to do. They could still compete no matter what you do, but I like some interaction between two species as long as it's manageable. You've got a lot of room in a 30B. The worst aggression with caudo's in with their own kind, but I have a group that lives in close proximity, 2 pair and a single male, and they seem to have an understanding. Even if/when multi's migrate to the rocks, I find that the caudo's orient themselves to rocks, but really don't spend much time, if any, in the rocks.

HTH

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only been a day, but so far:

One caudo has claimed an area and only lets one other caudo get remotely close before chasing it away. All of the other caudos get chased right away. Would be funny if they spawned this soon, but I doubt it. 36" seems kind of small for all of the caudos to live together.

I'm going to pull the multis and put them in a another 30b as soon as I get a piece of glass to patch the drilled hole with. I want to have a large colony.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
ahud said:
Only been a day, but so far:

One caudo has claimed an area and only lets one other caudo get remotely close before chasing it away. All of the other caudos get chased right away. Would be funny if they spawned this soon, but I doubt it. 36" seems kind of small for all of the caudos to live together.

I'm going to pull the multis and put them in a another 30b as soon as I get a piece of glass to patch the drilled hole with. I want to have a large colony.
Don't rush to judgement. There's always a process of establishing dominance in a new tank. I have 5 caudos in a 24x12 space even though they could move if they wanted to as it's a six foot tank.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I will keep an eye on them and see if it works out. One good thing about them is the chasing consist of flaring and a mock charge, I have not seen much contact yet.

The beginning stages of a tank are so interesting. I watched the tank for a good hour and a half last night. Wishing the multi's would move to the giant shell pile in the middle, but two of the five hang out near the rocks that the caudo is protecting. LOL the caudos ignore the multi's all together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts