237.50%
32050.00%

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1. Oldest

2. Newer

3. Newest - Current setup and I think my favorite.. at least the most natural habitat of the 3 and ill say easiest to keep clean without the wood degrading and plant matter flying around.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I voted for the 3rd one but, I think you have way to many rocks in there. While I am sure there are many a cave it just looks a piled up mess. No offense! Are the fish swimming through the pile or just hanging out front?

Still really liked the first one a bit.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JimA said:
I voted for the 3rd one but, I think you have way to many rocks in there. While I am sure there are many a cave it just looks a piled up mess. No offense! Are the fish swimming through the pile or just hanging out front?

Still really liked the first one a bit.
They are swimming through, there are tons of caves and places for them to get through.. If you look at it up close you can see how I stacked it. It's actually very open underneath the pile, like a hollow center. They were all at front in the picture because when i walk up to the glass they come flying out from the rocks :lol: they actually seem a lot happier in this setup than my other two above..

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Funny you say that I've been messing with that rock as it does seem out of place ...I was trying to hide the heater :thumb:

·
Registered
509 Posts
fox said:
#3 must be a PITA trying to get the detritus out. Could be a future nitrAte problem.
A solution to this is to have a power head that you plug in during water changes and just move it around the tank with your hand to blow it all out from the rocks. Stir up the water real good and suck it out.

I like the first one. I know there aren't a lot of plants where these fish live but I have to have green in my tanks.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Look off to the left side you can see the two circulation pumps .. one at the bottom is hidden behind the rocks and blowing underneath behind them all towards the intake of the eheim.. so far the bottom is staying pretty clean. I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Didn't even notice :thumb: The great thing about those is you can just pop them off their mount and move them around by hand very easily during a water change if needed.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Exactly :thumb: they work well but for some reason the top pump is humming really loud I may need to replace it..

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
#3. I have a similar setup with round, mostly oblong rock, not stacked quite as high.
It's great for the fish as they can swim about in the rocks like it's a maze. Easy retreats.
I have 25 fish in the tank and if they're sufficiently startled the tank looks empty, well except for the 3/4" yellow labs, nothing seems to phase them ;) I expect yours are the same.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTZ said:
#3. I have a similar setup with round, mostly oblong rock, not stacked quite as high.
It's great for the fish as they can swim about in the rocks like it's a maze. Easy retreats.
I have 25 fish in the tank and if they're sufficiently startled the tank looks empty, well except for the 3/4" yellow labs, nothing seems to phase them ;) I expect yours are the same.
Same exact thing. When I pull the canopy the tank looks completely empty..

·
Registered
179 Posts
i must say they all look really great but the 3rd one looks most natural to me for the fish you have.
Nice work :)my fellas are out as soon as i lift the top begging for food :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
I prefer the middle one. I prefer the look of the rounded rock to the fractured but I think I'd stack the rocks together more and downsize the wood...or maybe not :? Looks great :thumb: I've seen some set ups with the rounded flattened look, no plants, with just plain dark rock and I think it looks awesome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I prefer the first set up mainly because I too like a little green in the tank, but I think I would add a few more rocks to the first and a few less to the 3rd!! I think everyone should try to incorperate things they enjoy, while trying to maintain a natural habitat for the fish, but it really comes down to what you enjoy looking at, as long as the water conditions are good the fish probably could care less! Very pretty tank though, and I love getting the ideas from everyone as Im pretty new to keeping cichlids!! :thumb:

·
Registered
31 Posts
What if you combined the first setup with the 3rd - ie take the rounded softer looking rocks out of the setup in option 1 and then replaced them with the rocks from option 3?? Dont use all of them though :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I thought about doing that but it didn't look right with the mixture of rock types..

·
Registered
36 Posts
#1 . . . :thumb: I am a fan of a "natural" look. That said, I understand that in the rift lakes, there are areas of almost complete rock and almost complete sand and vegetation. Go with what you like. Thanks for asking our opinion! :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow 1 is catching up fast :eek: and I appreciate the opinions... :thumb:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts