Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 3'x18"x25" tank by a coworker today. My question is this, I have a 29g set up with two calvus and 7 multies . I want to move them all to the new 70ish tank. Tue footprint is a bit bigger so would I be able to add something else (mid to top dwellers), or is not even worth trying. I know footprint is the big factor here so going from 29x12x18 to 36"x18x25 is not really much more. Any help is much appreciated. :)

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
I would want the 48" length before going with cyps.

Maybe paracyps in the new 18" deep tank?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
DJRansome said:
I would want the 48" length before going with cyps.

Maybe paracyps in the new 18" deep tank?
My thoughts exactly (except its 25" deep?) . You want to pop in some high dark overhangs and that mix should work real well.

I dunno I may be used to different conventions or just have got it wrong.

If its 25" wide and 18" tall then I guess you could still go Paracyps but you have more choices with that tank I think.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ebjdftw said:
he means it's 25" high. length x width x height. it's just a shade under 70 gallons. is this a custom tank or something?
I have no idea where it cam from but yes its 3' long 18" wide and 25" tall. They girl who had it used it to keep here little lap dogs in when she wasn't home. To my suprise it is in excellent condition , no scratches or missing silicon.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
You could have a nice community in that tank. I have a 36x18x12 that I love.

Paracyps, multies and calvus would be great. Or with some creative aquascaping, you could go wtih gobies, calvus and multies.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
triscuit said:
You could have a nice community in that tank. I have a 36x18x12 that I love.

Paracyps, multies and calvus would be great. Or with some creative aquascaping, you could go wtih gobies, calvus and multies.
That's awesome! Wasn't to sure on it . I mean its 40 gallons more but really only a little more then a square foot on footprint. For the price its awesome. Now to just find a flat spot for it and it will be up and running. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally got the stand made and the tank up and running. All the fish are still hiding in their shells at the moment but this tank is awesome. It's like half my 125 sitting in my bedroom. Love the demensions. The stand was a trial and error thing. Never built a stand from cinder block and wood. Next is to paint blocks and wood. Here are a few pics.

Here is a video can't really get any good shots with the phone.
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... EO0096.mp4

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bodenhimer said:
you might build the rock work up and get a few Transcriptus julies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... B2H3YThPAs

or cadopunctatus http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvpfbGf8 ... detailpage
I do like the look of the julies but I was looking for more mid to top open water swimmers. Are the fish in the second video commonly called punks? They look like huge multies. I do like the looks of paracyps but like said the footprint isn't too big. Either way I'm going to have to order my fish online due to the lfs around here don't carry lake tanganyika or if they do its just calvus in with Malawi cichlids. I am not to sure if I will be able to fill the upper portion of the tank and it seems like a waste of space. Also being a noob to Africans what would be an acceptable price on the julies,cadopunctatus,and paracyps? I know the lfs around here that carries them were asking pretty steep prices for the calvus and brevis they were selling. I also saw some other shell dwellers (name started with an "O") and they were asking $20 each.

·
Super Moderator
40,535 Posts
This is a caudopunctatus.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok that doesn't look like a multi. I guess the video quality threw me off. It is a nice looking fish.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah the julies they do have around here go for $20 at like an inch. If they are bigger they go upwards of 30.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.