Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of a friend gave me an 4L by 8H ft wood stand with space for 3 tanks and a lower sump. He gave me 2 tanks for the top spaces. They are (inside dimentions) 47L x 7D x 8H (top tank appx 11 gal), 47L x 11D x 12 H (middle tank, appx 27 gallons) and space for a 55 gallon standard in the bottom opening. These originally came from a pet store. I was wanting to try to plumb it for one sump(I've always used HOB and Canister). The top two tanks have two rear bulheads each. The bottom tank is a Walmart special, and should not be drilled. Any suggestions on how to set this up, and what I should put in it? I was thinking that the top two would be good for growing out fry. I currently have some Calvus that I could leave in the 55. All the tanks have painted back backgrounds. I appreciate any ideas you guys can throw at me! :roll:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had a setup like that, I had a pump in the bottom tank that pumped the water to the top tanks, that water drained back to the bottom tank. It was great for breeding fish, I could swap fish/fry between the tanks with out adapting them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a similar set up - 3 33's with a sump on the bottom. The problem I have run into is the the output from the pump is not a loop so the amount of water getting to the top tank is far less then the bottom tanks. I have tried closing values to limit the flow to the bottom tanks, but it seems to be too little flow then. Also on the drain side a few times I have had an over flow of the tank closest to the sump.

So use 2" pipe for the drain side and 3/4 for the feed side and make the feed side a loop to try and keep the prusser to each tank the same

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I have several of these 3 tank tiers in my fishroom (there is an intro to my fishroom in this folder). I pump water from the bottom tank to the top tank... through a overflow to the middle tank... through an overflow into the bottom tank... There is no sump...

I love them...

I also run one AC 110 on the bottom (75 gal) tank. I plan to add air driven filters to the whole room but these have been functioning like this for 6 weeks or so. The mechanical filtration is weak (low current) but nothing a simple vacuuming / water change doesn't fix (besides, it's a fish room not a show display tank).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts