Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an empty 30 gallon tank and I am preparing it for discus. Hope this question hasn't been asked too often but I did a search and didn't find much. It's kinda a hard question to do a search for.

Anyway, I want to pair 2 discus, I found a place where if I buy 3 discus then I get free shipping. If 2 of the discus pair up and the third one is out would there be aggression toward that third one?

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yep. Even if they don't pair up, there might be one that will get bullied. I keep reading places that a group of 6 or more is best.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have found that a large group is better. Even with a pair one will often try to dominate the other. Putting them in a group helps them to establish a "heirarchy" and they aren't as aggessive towards each other. Not to say a pair wont work , just that a group is better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
not to hijack the thread or anything, but isnt a 30 gallon a little small for discus?

I've never kept them, so I dont know, but seems a little small to me.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
30g will work while they're small, a 55g would be better especially once they get some size on them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, thankyou everyone for the great input! I know 30g seems small and I am willing to step it up a bit if I have to. I currently have a Mbuna tank that is 75g which is connected (this is wierd probably) to my 30g tank. The 30g tank is actually the siphon but it is also a fully functional aquarium. The 30g was going to be a SA tank for fun while the display tank is the 75g. So since i have the SA tank I was looking at some websites and alot of them say that discus can live in 7.5ph and sorta hard water. I figured I would give some discus a try but because of the tank size I was hoping just one pair would work.

Maybe I should just build another 75g.

G

·
Be careful buying fish, especially discus, online. Do some research on the vendor if you can. You can also go to simlydiscus.com to do more reading and research on discus. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I currently have a Mbuna tank that is 75g which is connected (this is wierd probably) to my 30g tank. The 30g tank is actually the siphon but it is also a fully functional aquarium
I don't know what your current water parameters are, but the water requirements for Discus and Mbuna are about as opposite as you can get in a fresh water tank. I think your better off getting a tank just for the Discus .

·
Registered
13 Posts
kingpoiuy said:
Hello, I have an empty 30 gallon tank and I am preparing it for discus. Hope this question hasn't been asked too often but I did a search and didn't find much. It's kinda a hard question to do a search for.

Anyway, I want to pair 2 discus, I found a place where if I buy 3 discus then I get free shipping. If 2 of the discus pair up and the third one is out would there be aggression toward that third one?

Thanks
Yes, especially if they decide to breed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts