Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Female (same female in 3 pics)

Male (same male in all pics):

Many thanks for your patience. They were sold to me (reputable LFS) as F1's - but under an unusual (or just hard to find) species name.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Glaneon said:
Hmm, that's the only pic, but I think that's mis-identified.
What makes you think my Tropheops sp. "red top chilumba" are mis-identified? Tropheops show a great deal of variation even at the same locations.

Look it up in one of Ad Konings books as Tropheops sp. "Chilumba" Mphanga Rocks

By the way, that is one great looking fish you have. I'm curious what it is myself. I would have guessed some sort of elongatus based on body shape.

Kevin

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
They do seem like an Elongatus Tropheops type. Konings has many grouped as such now, but I'm not sure of the official genus.

So what were they sold as? That male looks like he might be very cool.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
StructureGuy said:
Glaneon said:
Hmm, that's the only pic, but I think that's mis-identified.
What makes you think my Tropheops sp. "red top chilumba" are mis-identified? Tropheops show a great deal of variation even at the same locations.

Look it up in one of Ad Konings books as Tropheops sp. "Chilumba" Mphanga Rocks
When I looked up other images of the Red Top Chilumba, they didn't look like the picture you linked - they looked VERY different... perhaps wrong link?
StructureGuy said:
By the way, that is one great looking fish you have. I'm curious what it is myself. I would have guessed some sort of elongatus based on body shape.

Kevin
Thanks, it's funny how his color brightens/darkens - I have the babies growing out now and hope to see some more variances. Given how drab they were as fry, I'm excited to see what happens as he ages.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The shape of the fish is the same as my pair of Tropheops sp Red Fin........very enlongate but with a Tropheops mouth. That said those fish do not look like the Tropheops chilumba.

Perhaps an enlongate sp of Tropheops though?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was sold as Elongatus sp. Kanchedza.

Just doesn't look like the Elongatus Kanchedza's I've seen online.

·
Registered
9,068 Posts
Glaneon said:
It was sold as Elongatus sp. Kanchedza.

Just doesn't look like the Elongatus Kanchedza's I've seen online.
Why do you doubt the name? Just because your male is not in full color? You may need to change up your tank for the male to feel comfortable enough to show full color.

I googled the name... The body shape and markings do seem similar to the pics of Elongatus Kanchedza... which is either a new trade name for a fish, or a fish that has not been exported before. It is hard to be sure with fish that show female or subdued color.

This a pic from Cichlidnews. The body shape, mouth, black line in dorsal, and barring around head are similar to yours. A little bit of orangish color in dorsal also. Your male just doesn't show much barring yet.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
True... sometimes he does - his rear torso will get pale, then the bars up front show up nicely.

I'm going to be selling my 2 normal socolofi that are a bit larger and similar in shape/color to make him feel more comfortable (that and add some of his kids to the tank once they get big enough).

I thought I had linked that picture a while back, but thought it was a "Mazinzi".

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts