Cichlid Fish Forum banner

29 gallon set up questions...

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Peepintom 
#1 ·
with a 29 gallon tank is it big enough to raise a breeding pair of convicts???
and if the fry were to survive what would be some possiblities to do with them....??

#2 ·
yes, a 29 is fine for a breeding convict pair.

as for fry... well... you will have many of them, and not many options for getting rid of them.

if you have larger fish, it makes a good food source...

...you can call a few of your local lfs's to see if they'll take them... you can rarely ever sell convict fry. i couldn't even get the stores around here to TAKE them from me... so, good luck with that.

other possibilities include culling the fry... which means disposing of them in some humane fashion. i, personally, couldn't do this very effectively to an entire batch of fry every couple of months.

i decided to get rid of my female and opt for a solitary male only in my 29. dealing with the fry was going to be waaay too much of a hassle.

maybe you can find a friend near you that wants to fry for food? there are always 'free convict fry' adds up at my lfs. they really get to be a handful since no one wants them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.