Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Pseudotropheus saulosi is an oft-recommended species on this site due to its small size, moderate temperament and dimorphic colouration.

This vintage tank of the month has helped spread the idea of saulosi groups in smallish tanks. it looks like there were about 15 in there at one point, with an incredible four coloured males:

I've kept 3m/8f for a little over 2 years in a three foot 38 gallon tank but have now moved them into a thirty inch 29 gallon. The original plan was to just move 1m/5f but I decided to see if I could make all 11 work in this tank since they grew up together and have always got on quite well.

So I thought I would start this thread to update on their progress.

It's only been a day, but so far so good. My least dominant male has given up his bars and all three males are doing a fair bit of sorting out right now. I've only seen one lip lock but there is a great deal of chasing and even more circling - about what you would expect in a whole new environment with new territories to establish.

Some (very reflective) pictures:

A video here:

Stay tuned for updates, good or bad.

kevin

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Kevin - nice tank, and I hope the plan works out as they start breeding. That vintage tank inspired me to go YL/dems in a 40 breeder, since I couldn't find saulosi nearby.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Awesome! I am planning on a 50g saulosi tank that is cycling now.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dielikemoviestars said:
Kevin - nice tank, and I hope the plan works out as they start breeding.
Oh, they breed like rabbits. I let them spit in the tank because I'm not interested in fry. But as you can see from the way I've set it up, there's nowhere for them to hide.

kevin

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I have a 40G breeder not doing anything - I assume they would do fine in it?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cantrell00 said:
I have a 40G breeder not doing anything - I assume they would do fine in it?
I would expect so. For the record, my 11 started out as 12 juveniles, 7 of which proved to be male. I sold 4 of those males and was lucky enough to buy four females.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you could throw a bunch of juvies in there and feel pretty confident that you'll get a good tank once you pull extra males.

Starting with adults could be harder.

kevin

·
Registered
74 Posts
:popcorn:

That first Saulosi tank you posted is legendary! I stumbled on it a few weeks ago, and since then I've been toying with the same exact idea to update my office tank, so I'll be very interested in how it works out. Looking good so far!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Here's a crappy picture of a 30 gallon I had set up a while back..

Note: the greshakei was about 2.5" in this photo, maybe a little bigger than the saulosi in the photo above.

Im not calling the tank owner a liar I'm just not seeing the same size tanks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Ridley,I bought 21 saulosi fry going on 2 months in a 75,theyre close to two inches plus,and theyre all still yellowish,I would have expected some males colouring up by now,how much longer do you figure?by the way your first tank was/is very inspirational to alot of people
Also, setting up my species only (saulosi)has been very interesting and enjoyable so far,the interactions and behaviours are much different then my 3 species 90 gal.tank
Hope everything works out in your new setup :wink:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.

Two months seems like a really long time for males to colour up. It's virtually impossible to get 21 fish of the same sex. Perhaps the males are uncomfortable with something? This is a saulosi-only tank?

kevin

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Is it possible to deferentiate between the two at lets say 1 inch,my supplier said he had them seperated(I phoned)he told me only males have egg spots,I picked mine out from the same tank,he didnt tell me at the time,anyway yes its saulosi only tank,
Rob

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've never had egg spots on my females but I'm not convinced that egg spots are a sure-fire way of sexing saulosi.

I do have one female that I'd swear is a subdominant male - she has pretty distinct barring and shows lots of white and some blue - but she's held many times, confirming her sex.

Shot in the dark here, but I wonder if changing your aquascape a little so that there is at least one prime defendable territory might encourage a male to claim it and colour up? That's assuming you don't have that sort of set up already.

kevin

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I went pretty light on the rocks,that might be it,I have a smal stack of five rocks on one side and just a couple rocks side to side on the other,I,ll change it up a bit and add some more and see what happens,thanks for your suggestions,didnt mean to hijak your thread

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
newforestrob said:
didnt mean to hijak your thread
I think anyone searching "saulosi species tank" would find this conversation useful, so I wouldn't consider it a hijack!

kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice tank! I have a 33g tank with just 1 Perspicax Yellow Breast male in it. Even females fight intensely to each other. i will look forward to see your updates. :thumb:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Kevin - I really like the tank. The rocks look excellent. I started a Saulosi species tank back in September and I have really enjoyed it. The thread is linked below. One of my favorite parts has been explaining to friends and family that the blue fish they see are the same yellows ones they saw the month before. Everyone is amazed by the transformation of the males.

I started with 15 juvies in a 40 gallon tall, but things are getting a bit tight with their current size. I'm working on a 55g now to fix this. They must like the current setup though because I have 2-3 fully colored males and have had 2 holding females in the last month.

P.S. If anyone is looking for Saulosi in Michigan hit me up as I'll have some juvies available shortly. Sorry, not trying to thread jack.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am wondering what you guys think of how my tank 50 gal that is cycling looks. Any suggestions?
(

1 - 20 of 36 Posts