Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1 yellow lab almost 3 inchs and five green tiger barbs in the tank(all 1.something inches currently. The specs and a picture are on my profile to see the tank and what's running it. basically 60 gallons worth of filtration, a heater, fake plants, rocks all that good stuff for the people who don't feel like looking. Change the water every 3-6 days, depending on time, and if its getting cloudy(one downside i've noticed with the hikiri pellets they cloud the water) Ph is between 7.2-7.4 and befor you flame me for keeping my lab in that p.h. I bought him from pet smart so he isn't wild caught, and i highly doubt they even had the p.h. that high. and hes lively and a nice looking fish.

I've been feeding the fish small hikiri pellets at the moment, mixed with flake food. Surprisingly the lab is the only one who will eat the flakes. and i think the hikiri have made him grow extremely fast, because I've only had him for a month or so.

Now a Couple questions;Part one,what else could i add to this tank? More barbs? any other ideas... Is there such a thing as dwarf loaches? any cool bottom feeders besides Cories, they're schoolers and get rather large, and im affraid of the lab attacking dwarf cories. any shellfish that wont get eaten by the lab?(to sum up this question, what else can i add to this tank?) I have a bunch of shells because in the future, i plan on starting up a shellie tank(in an empty 15 gallon bow front i have), but i don't think they would do good in the low p.h. and the bottom isn't sand either, so suggestion are welcome, im dumbfounded on what else to put in my tank.

and finally, how do you guys feel about getting ghost shrimp, or something along these lines to feed as a treat to lab, will he eat them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
How would another cichlid of simular size or smaller do in this tank, say a krib, or something along those lines? if i did that what else would i be able to add? or something like 1 convict + other things?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Don't do a krib or convict. Dump your barbs, double up your rockwork, and get 4 more yellow labs. You can put a pleco or small loach in there if you really want to. Enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts