Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I have moved to a knew house , but at the moment i have left my tanks at the other house and have been going there everyday to check up and feed the fish. So my question is i have a 10 and 29 gallon currently but i am planning to empty out the habitants in the 29 and move my brevis pair in the 10 gallon and move them to the 29 gallon and add something like brichardi or julies or something of that sort, so the stocking would look similar to this...

2x N. Brevis
2X? N. Brichardi or Julies
BN

any and all help is great!
thanks a ton, pumh

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a big fan of Julies, they swim super cool. Was warned that Brichardi will become their own little army and kill off everything in the tank. A single comp or Calvus would look good too. My Goldhead has staked out a 4" circle around his 'shell' but is very docile

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
If/when N. brichardi pair up, they'll dominate anything up to at least a 5' tank. So I'd scratch those or maybe just go with 1. Brevis + julies should work well as long as they've both got territories.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay, thanks for the replies, so how does this sound?

2 brevis with nice shelled (appx. 15?) area on one side of the tank
Julies with nice rock piled area on the opposite side

and then possibly a plant or two of something hardy like vals or something as some visual barriers? Also i am now wondering how many julies should i have? i know the reccommended is a pair, but if a i buy a few juvies/ young adults and they don't end up pairing up what should i do? or how will i know if they have paired up and what species of julie do you think are the best for a 29 gallon tank? sorry for all the questions...
thanks, pumh

·
Registered
173 Posts
For J. transcriptus a 10" diameter (25cm) rockpile can be called home for a pair and a young fry clan, but as the fry grow they will not just want to, but have to spread out away from the clan. Once spawning occurs expect continued spawnings in 14-20 day cycles of rather small numbers.

You could expect to get a pair out of a half dozen juvies. You will know you do when the remaining 4 get chased into hiding in behind heaters, filter suction tubes and sponges. But you won't see them spawn-very reclusive. One day there will be babies. At that point if you haven't already rescued the 4 scared julies they will not likely survive.When I saw the first babies I squirted bbs and Hikari First Bite into the spawning pile with a turkey baster.

Trannys hide vertically, heads up or down, tight to a suitable surface. This is true of distressed fish and very small fry as well. Dad gets bigger than mom. Spawning consumes a lot of energy as does the rigors of realm and clan protection. It cuts down of how much food the parents have time to consume offered food. Expect very slow growth after spawning starts. My pair have been spawning for a year and dad is only about 2" TL and mom 1-3/4". Several rescued males of my original stock have grown to 2 1/2" TL as bachelors.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I am a big proponent of creating rock piles by making assemblies using silicone sealant to hold them together. For whatever reason you might need to, like removing fish, you can lift the whole rockpile out of the tank, do your netting and/or maintenance and plunk the rockpile back into the tank.

You can assemble so that there are small caves in the rockpile. Also, I have found assembled rockpile cut down on tumbling rocks when my cichlids dig - and all rock dwelling tangs WILL dig.

For creative purposes you can always fine tune your pile by adding a few loose rocks in choice places.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
considering the fact that julies aren't super common to be for sale here i was thinking that j. transcriptus, J. ornatus, or J. dickfeldi are all possible in a 29 gallon with brevis. does that sound like it could work?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts