Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a common pleco that is going to be part of a newly inherited 29 gallon bowfront, slowly making my way to bigger tanks. Currently have a 10 gallon setup.

I was wondering if "Ruby Greens" would be an appropriate tank mate for my pleco and if so how many? I wouldn't mind having other tank mates as well such as tetras etc but would like a least one group of ciclids. I was also thinking about some of the dwarf RAM species as well.

Any advice would be appreciated, but they must be compatible with my pleco.

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's hard to suggest a compatible fish in this setup since the pleco by itself will soon be much too large for this tank. Common pleco's can reach a foot or two in length.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pleco is about 1.5 years old and is about 6 inches, not sure how long they keep growing? He is actually my wifes favorite fish. This is what enabled me to upgrade from the 10 gallon to the 29 gallon a friend gave me. Plan is to continue to upgrade to larger aquariums as I get more knowledge and get the go ahead. We will see how much she likes him when he needs to move out from this tank.

·
Registered
705 Posts
apistos might work out. with some tetras in there. only thing is most of the dwarf cichlids tend to stick to the bottom of tanks (pleco territory) so he may take a little bit of a rough up. just my two cents

·
Registered
532 Posts
duds said:
It's hard to suggest a compatible fish in this setup since the pleco by itself will soon be much too large for this tank. Common pleco's can reach a foot or two in length.
+1. Plecos can get a foot long, keeping it in a 29 is cruel. How would you like to live in a phone booth? But that's besides the point, if you would like 1 group of cichlids, you could try Honduran Red Points, they aren't aggressive, and are beautiful to look at.

I don't think you should keep any fish in a tank that he can't swim full speed in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Elijah said:
duds said:
+1. Plecos can get a foot long, keeping it in a 29 is cruel. How would you like to live in a phone booth? But that's besides the point, if you would like 1 group of cichlids, you could try Honduran Red Points, they aren't aggressive, and are beautiful to look at.

I don't think you should keep any fish in a tank that he can't swim full speed in.
Sounds like I need to return him to the fish store, my local store will rehome them. Quick question, how long do plecos keep growing? He is about 1.5 years old now and is around 6 inches long.

Do the Honduran Red Points get along with other community fish? Would they be OK with a small group of tetras?

I read on the library section that Ruby Greens can work in a 29 gallon set up. Has anyone else found this to be true and if so would they get along with community fish.

·
Registered
532 Posts
GRB1 said:
Sounds like I need to return him to the fish store, my local store will rehome them. Quick question, how long do plecos keep growing? He is about 1.5 years old now and is around 6 inches long.
It takes quite awhile, but Plecos keep growing until they reach over a foot.

Do the Honduran Red Points get along with other community fish? Would they be OK with a small group of tetras?
I'm not really an expert on HRP, but as far as I know, they are peaceful fish. But if a fish is small enough to fit in it's mouth, it'll be fish food.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you like plecos may I recommend one of the smaller species? Possibly a bristlenose pleco?

SnookMan88

1 - 9 of 9 Posts