Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I officially have paid for it and am having my dream tank built. (Realistic dream tank anyway)

Dimensions on the tank are 72"L x 24"W x 36"H, coming out to approximately 265 gallons.
The tank will be filtered with 3 FX6 canister filters
My water ph is 7 out of the tap and I plan on having 2" of white sand on the bottom as well as a couple of large pieces of driftwood. I will aim to keep the temperature around 80 degrees F.

I am leaning towards a tank of severums right now with 6-8 redhead geophagous Tapajos.

Looking for opinions on what a good number of severums would be for this tank. I plan on also including 1-2 blood parrots and 1-2 electric blue acaras.

Any suggestions on specific numbers for stocking? Do you see any problems with the species I have selected as far as compatibility?
I would also like to include a medium-size school of active dither fish, probably some kind of tetra I guess? Any suggestions here would be greatly appreciated, I guess they will have to be on the larger size so they don't become snacks later on. Any and all help and suggestions are appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Sounds like a cool tank.
For the Severums, I would just go with an odd number. Five should be about right. NOT a fan of the BPs. Besides the weird mouth, etc... one or both of them may have the attitude of a Red Terror, causing problems for everyone. I'd just go with a couple Green Terrors and skip the EBA altogether. If you want a big, but peaceful 'budfy' kind of Cichlid, you could stock with a single Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis) to act as the sort of 'centerpiece fish' for the tank.
For the movers in there, you could go with 12 -14 Silver Dollars. Same number of Buenos Aires Tetras or maybe some Astyanx fasciatus 'mexicanus' (Hard to find for purchase). Otherwise 10 - 12 Giant Danios would clear that job pretty well, if you don't mind stocking with an Asian species..... :wink:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Auballagh said:
Sounds like a cool tank.
For the Severums, I would just go with an odd number. Five should be about right. NOT a fan of the BPs. Besides the weird mouth, etc... one or both of them may have the attitude of a Red Terror, causing problems for everyone. I'd just go with a couple Green Terrors and skip the EBA altogether. If you want a big, but peaceful 'budfy' kind of Cichlid, you could stock with a single Chocolate Cichlid (Hypselecara temporalis) to act as the sort of 'centerpiece fish' for the tank.
For the movers in there, you could go with 12 -14 Silver Dollars. Same number of Buenos Aires Tetras or maybe some Astyanx fasciatus 'mexicanus' (Hard to find for purchase). Otherwise 10 - 12 Giant Danios would clear that job pretty well, if you don't mind stocking with an Asian species..... :wink:
Your stocking ideas actually sound very similar to the setup a local friend has at the moment- especially the Sev's, Geo's, and silver dollars-and it seems to be working well for him. I especially like the school of silver dollars in this tank. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,877 Posts
Awesome! With a really big tank like that, with so many Silver Dollar's.... did you see that they will actually exhibit some real schooling behaviors? I mean even in 180 gallon tanks, I've seen that they rarely bunch up much unless something has them spooked, (And then they're just as likely to be hitting the glass - everywhere - as opposed to swimming together). :roll:
- | -
Oh....
And, I missed one! Purely optional, cause your dwarf Geos will be working that sand over pretty hard in there. And well... some people just can't roll with these things in their tanks,

It's the Rhino Pleco (Pterygoplichthys scrophus)!

And yeah... These catfish do sorta creep some people out.
I think they're kind of amazing! These omnivorous algae eaters, are a bit more robust than the smaller growing Ancistrus types. And, can handle some mild levels of New World Cichlid aggression. I personally don't think any (relatively peaceful) SA community tank with any size to it, should be without (some version) of one of these big, armored cats in it. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts