Cichlid Fish Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well you certainly have given me a lot to think about! I’m so torn!I want to make sure it’s the right stocking so that it can all stay together for a long time, the polar blues will be a real wrench to lose they’re my favourite fish that I have ever owned

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Ahhh well.... to each his own, I guess.
I see the compressed, malformed bodies on those little hybrid monsters, and just feel well, sad.
But, you may be able to keep the two of them in with this batch of T. ellioti. The Polar Blue types are known to have a bit of the Wily Convict Cichlid in them. Which means they are supposedly NOT as much of a doofuss in the aquarium as the more ridiculous Blood Parrots are, I guess.
But look out - a male Thoricthys who has attained his 'majority' will NOT tolerate fools lightly in his claimed territory (The entire tank in this case for your smaller sized aquarium). If/When he starts thrashing those Polar Blues, you may have to pull them outta there, before they are killed. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I agree, when I first got them I wasn’t aware that they were hybrids at all or that their body was malformed but they have really grown on me they’re always active dragging things around and coming to the glass, I can’t say I would buy any more of them however because of what I have learned since. The more I have researched blood parrots the sadder they are.
So going backwards in this conversation how would the polar blues do with just a single ellioti do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Sure! But, some sacrifices will still ultimately have to be made.

And even a couple four male stocking groups, if you’re feeling like you must have - one more Cichlid!!!!,
  • 1 Amatitlania sajica, T-Bar Cichlid
  • 2 Males Herotilapia multispinosa, Rainbow Cichlid
  • 1 Thoricthys sp., Firemouth Cichlid (Or any of the other colorful variants)

• In this case, just substitute the 2 Male Rainbows for your Polar Blues. And also, I would not stock with the T-Bar in there (too close in species type to the Polar Blues). In this case, it would probably be best to go with a single male Nicaraguan Cichlid. You should try to keep the Mollies and that (confused? little Cardinal Tetra in with this group as long as possible. But no guarantees on that, and its likely you'll start mysteriously 'losing' those non-Cichlids in there sooner than later, at some point. :cautious:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
That sounds excellent! There are 11 cardinals so hopefully they won’t be too confused they can just look at each other and be reassured!
what sort of tank setup do you recommend for this stockingI’m guessing a lot of sight breaks? But I’m never sure how high they need to be

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Oops....

Current stocking:
1 Angelfish
11 cardinal tetras
Kinda missed that! And yeah, you have plenty of non-Cichlid Dither fish in this tank.
-
Not sure if you're a pirate chest/plastic castle type aquarium decorator? Or, prefer more natural looking arrangements. It's all good I suppose, (and the fish could honestly care less). You will need some structure on the bottom, that they can all get in and around on. More structure stuff in this case, or there will certainly be fights over who gets to have the 'best' spot to lurk in... Taller items (plastic plants?) should reach all of the way to the surface. Even a little beyond, if they are rocks or something.
And yes, breaking up the sight lines a bit inside the tank will definitely help to keep everyone calmer in there.
So ultimately, your Cichlid stocking scheme will end up like this,

• 1M Thoricthys ellioti (Cheek Spot Cichlid)
  • 1M Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, (Nicaraguan or Moga Cichlid)
  • 2 Polar Blue Cichlids (If one of those is a female and wants to spawn, things may get too weird/combative in this tank... pull her out!)

And, the Cardinals and Mollies stay to help keep your Cichlids distracted and maybe even a little annoyed - but not fighting each other! ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I do much prefer a more natural look to be honest rocks and plants although I don’t go into enough detail to make it a biotope! I have a fair bit of slate around various tanks at the moment so I will start glueing together structures maybe some more giant vals.
Thank you so much for all your help

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sorry to bother you again, just a couple more questions! How big will the ellioti need to be before they can be sexed? And would it be a complete disaster if the ellioti in my stocking was female?Also will the Nicaraguan be ok in my tank? I’ve read a couple of places that mine is a bit small when adding other cichlids as well

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
No worries.
A male T, ellioti will emerge from your group with more, well, ATTITUDE than anything else. That picture I put up in the earlier post, is informative for a couple reasons.
1) Not many physical differences in appearance between a male and female of this species.
2) The males DO grow a bit larger in size.
Biggest way to tell if you have a male T. ellioti is to just observe how he acts around the female(s). If you have one that is just acting super dominant - it could still be a very aggressive/dominant female. But, if it acts all snarly and dominant - AND is displaying at the female(s) plus protecting a territory in preps to spawn? Now THAT'S a male! And no - it isn't necessarily a 'show stopper' if you wind up with a female T. ellioti, esp. if the other Cichlids in the tank wind up being female also!
A La' Senorina Aquarium? Sure!
-
And yes, the Nicaraguan is a larger growing species. For your 65 gallon tank though, I believe you will have no problems in just stocking with ONE individual of that species. And yes a group of them, or certainly a spawning pair of Nicaraguans, would be too much for this aquarium.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Oh wow.... LIVE PLANTS?!!
That looks really nice!
And yes, I think those sight lines are getting broke up pretty nicely in there. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Brilliant thanks, I do love some live plants! Unfortunately they don’t seem to love me! If I were eventually to change the dither fish in this tank would tiger barbs work? Or is there a reason I haven’t thought of that they wouldn’t?

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Yes, Tiger barbs would work if you change out ALL of the dither fish in the tank. If not, you are probably gonna wind up with some pretty tattered Cardinals and Mollies. And, if you don't get enough Tiger Barbs to spread the aggression out more safely amongst themselves (for your aquarium, at least 8), they will start taking each other out!
Your Cichlids at least, should be able to handle themselves just fine around those little thugs. :mad:

21 - 35 of 35 Posts