Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently sold my Dovii pair, going back to Mbuna. 240 gallon tank (8x2x2). I want the" yellow and blue" look. I was thinking of starting with the following fish:
20 Yellow Labs
12- 20 Demasoni
10 Acei
10 Socolofi
I plan on having plenty of rocks in the tank. My primary concerns are aggression and hybridization. The tank size and rocks should help with the aggression. I understand that three types of Pseudotropheus together might be a problem with crossbreeding. *** had Mbuna before in this tank, and crossbreeding was rampant. But I had a HUGE variety of mbuna. This time I want to be more selective.
Any comments or suggestions regarding my stocking plan would be appreciated!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your selection looks good, but I would start with no less than 20 dems. In a 240G tank, 40 juvenile dems would be a great start. I started with 13 in my 110G and am down to 9 due to aggression, so I'm dealing with the issue of potentially having to remove the dominat male(s) and add more juvies so that the rest aren't killed off. If you start with 20 juvies, you might end up with 12-15 adults. Also, albino socolofi would be a nice contrast to the blues and purples of your dems and acei. You shouldn't have any crossbreeding between the species you listed, since you are keeping large groups and they aren't similar looking. I haven't heard of acei/socolofi/dems hybridizing, so the probability is low to almost non-existant. Also, you could definately get away with one or two more species in an 8 foot tank. Cynotilapia Sp. Hara "White top hara" would be an excellent choice IMO.

Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input fish_addiction. Your tank looks great. I like the look of the granite.
40 dems! That would be cool, but expensive. I'm glad to hear about the minimal crossbreeding chances with my potential selection.
Any successful breeding with your dems? I feel your pain trying to remove specific small fish from a big tank. Can be a major chore, and is something I want to avoid.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
That's sort of a misconception about 3 types of pseudotropheus being likely to hybridize. That genus is somewhat of a "place-holder" genus for fish that have yet to be permanently identified/lumped into another genus. Socolofi and acei are very, very different fish. As are dems from those 2. None of them really look alike in the slightest, so you're probably fine with them.

Need pics once this is set up and running!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd do 40 dems. I would also switch out either the socolofi or the acei because when I had them together, they did not give me enough contrast. Or maybe albino socolofi.

·
Registered
250 Posts
9000rpm said:
Thanks for the input fish_addiction. Your tank looks great. I like the look of the granite.
40 dems! That would be cool, but expensive. I'm glad to hear about the minimal crossbreeding chances with my potential selection.
Any successful breeding with your dems? I feel your pain trying to remove specific small fish from a big tank. Can be a major chore, and is something I want to avoid.
Thanks,

They haven't bred as of yet. They've been busy picking on each other though as i've gone from 13 to 9 in about 2 months time. I think if you add 20-25 dems and keep the water parameters right you will be successful. I just said 40 because in a tank that large those kind of numbers wouldn't be an issue. Don't waste your time with less than 20. Just order them online all at once and you'll be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts