Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started cycling my 240 gallon tank. 10% ammonia from Ace Hardware, 4ppm ammonia level. I've done a lot of research on how to cycle using this method. Most theories state that it OK to fully stock the tank when the cycle is complete. Some say that one should still stock the tank slowly.
I am planning on putting 50 sub-adult Mbuna in the tank after the cycle is complete (Yellow Labs and Dems). Any experiences with stocking a large tank heavy right after fishless cycling is complete?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
On my 180, I stocked about 20 or so haps, peacocks and 2 mbuna all sub adult size. I had no problems. The beauty of fishless cycling is the ability to stock decent numbers right off the bat. So 50 sub adults in a 240, I would think you would be OK.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Fully stocking after fishless cycling is one of the benefits of fishless cycling. Those who say to stock slowly after fishless cycling don't really understand the processes involved. You've built a bacteria colony that can handle a full load of fish, so there's no risk to fully loading. Stocking slowly is done when cycling with fish, so the ammonia produced by them doesn't overwhelm and kill them since there aren't sufficient bacteria yet to deal with it.

4ppm is a quite a bit of ammonia. I've fully stocked after using 3ppm. I'd cut your dosage down a bit, but 4 is fine, just don't go higher. Do some partial water changes daily once nitrite spikes. And keep an eye on pH and KH. Don't let either get too low during cycling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! I'll try to get closer to 3 ppm. I usually need 2 other opinions reading those API color charts for ammonia levels, sometimes they are not very"definitive" for me.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Everyone's right on. I stocked 38 in a 125 all at once, zero problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.