Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 20 young Benthochromis tricoti that I am growing out at this time. The tricoti are about 3 inches in length, so I have some time to make final tank mate choices. The tank they will be going into is a 72x24x30 220 gallons. I am looking for some thoughts about tank mates.

My first choice would be Enantiopus kilesa. I don't have any at this time, but I have a line on some at about 3 inches.

Another option for a bottom dwelling group would be a Xenotilapia bathyphilus breeding group that I have on hand. I don't think that I would keep both the kilesa and bathyphilus because they both stick pretty close to the bottom.

I am picking up a group of Xenotilapia spilopterus at about 2 inches next week. Would these fish compete for floor space with the kilesa or bathyphilus? I am looking for a mellow collection of fish that will not bother the tricoti.

I have kept tricoti before, but not this large a group. I will be interested to see how many will look reasonable in this tank. I would guess 20 would seem a bit full, but when I bought them I wanted to allow for a few losses. I wonder if the tricoti would compete for floor space?

Any thoughts would be welcome... Mark

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Sorry, no useful advice, just pure envy of such a large group of tricoti. They should look stunning. If you ever feel like sharing some photos, I am sure I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate them :drooling:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much to see at the moment. Only Tang lovers would understand this, 20 slender silver fish swimming around in a 75 gallon tank. I will take a few photos when they groups get dumped into the 220.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
mcfish said:
Only Tang lovers would understand this, 20 slender silver fish swimming around in a 75 gallon tank.
Well, this is the Tanganyika part of the forum :lol:

I am sure my wife wouldn't get much out of your photos. She can't get excited about seeing most of my tanks life. But here you are amongst fellow cichlid nerds, and I bet few people here have seen 20 tricoti in one tank. Nevermind they are juvies.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That would look great even though they're silver fish :)

I've seen one Tricoti with it's stream of fins just as long as it's body
Truely spectacular

Keep only one sand dweller

I'd opt out of the Kilesa because the Tricoti will take up floor space for their nests. So you're better off giving them all of it.

Why not the Xenotilapia Red Princess or if you can get some X. Ornatipinnis
Both those and the Tricoti will prefer the low light as well

I've only seen Tricoti, I have not kept them before

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'd love to keep tricotis but from what I've read they need a tank of about 8' to really thrive and males will not tolerate each other, so I'm guessing your group will have to be thinned out as they grow. Some pics would be good as would regular updates on this set up as I'm interested to see if it works so I can try it myself!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As of right now the young tricoti are staying in the upper part of the 75 gallon tank. I will be interested to see how bottom oriented they might become.

It has been a while since I kept a small group of adult tricoti, but I don't remember much aggression with that group. There were males and females, but no breeding. Just the holding of air bubbles by the females once in a while... got my hopes up though.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
One male and 3 or 4 females should be about right in your tank. If you want them to breed, feed the ladies mysis, 3 or 4 times a day. That will condition them properly. If they were wild caught, they will only breed from August to October, but if they are tank raised, they should almost be ready to breed. And initially I'd keep them in the tank alone, given the difficulty of breeding them in general, and their rarity in the hobby.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, Lamprichthys... have you had success yourself breeding tricoti? If so, did you strip the female and what did you feed the fry? When I purchased these fish from Atlantis, I think they said they were vat raised in Africa. Wild or not, they have a lot of growing to do.

Lamprichthys tanganicanus is one of the next fish I would like to try. Given your name, do you breed these fish?

Mark

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Only going by what I read in Cichlidae. Not took the plung myself. I hear tricoti (or horri as they may well realy be) can be kept with Enants but sometimes the Enants are too boisterous for the Benths to breed well. They do quite well with juvenile fronts too. Any peaceful Tang realy that does not stress em. Its kind of a long term project getting these to breed from TB young guys I wish you luck. They can hold bubles (even eat air from the surface and become ill) and be rediculously sensitive to being bullied and often do not produce huge batches of young. All in all a realy beautiful fish best kept by folk willing to be patient and give em room and none bullying tank mates (if any). As your tank is pretty much the min for em to breed and get to adult size in I would be awful careful what I kept em with.

All the best James

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an update on potential tankmates for my tricoti.

Last weekend I picked up 10 F1 Xenotilapia spilopterus from my favorite LFS. They are about 2 inches in length and have settled in nicely with some cyps as tankmates. They roam the bottom 2/3 of the tank and seem peaceful.

I also brought home 10 F1 Xenotilapia flavipinnis and dropped them into a tank with some paracyps. These Xenos seem to stay glued to the sand. The flavipinnis seem to be a bit rowdier than the splitopterus, but nothing too bad at the moment. They were sold to me as Red Royals...My LFS will get me the collection points on both groups so I won't have to use trade names.

The tricoti are growing and roaming the whole tank. They are getting along well at this time.

I think that I am going to evict a group of Ilangi tropheus in the next few weeks from their 220 and turn it over to the tricoti and friends. I will even try to post a few pictures of LSF (little silver fish) when the move is complete.

All advice is welcome... Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts