Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well possibly this weekend ill be getting a 210g with an fx5 and i would like to make it a peacock tank. just curious how many peacocks i could keep in it? also would i run into a problem with aggression if i have males and females in the same tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank?

Females don't cause aggression if you have enough of them (1m:4f for example), but peacock females are drab.

Also if you have more than one breeding group of peacocks in a tank they will crossbreed so don't save fry.

Finally, once you mix peacock females you lose the option to sell them down the road because you won't be able to tell the females of the various species apart.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Mixing breeding groups of similar fish is indeed not a good idea, Aulonocara peacocks are no exception. Now some people mistakenly call Malawian Haplochromines peacocks, and you can find a nice mix of Haps and Peacocks that can be done, with a low probability of hybridization.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after looking up malawian haps, I'm sure my fish (in 55g) is a aulonocara maulana (bi-color 500). They, being 2 females and 1 male, will stay in the tank they are in. So should I just go with an all male set up if I wanted to mix the breeds of fish in the tank?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts