Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got this 210 gallon tank and the standard stand, the guy i got it from had it set up, so this stand was holding up fine. im just worried about how the corner is seperated like this. is there any thing i could do for piece of mind before i get it all setup, i dont want to have to worry about it. i tried to just hammer it a little back but it wasnt moving .

thanks for youre help[/img]

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
That is just the outer trim piece that hides the bottom rim, right?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, this is the wood that the tank sits on. there is no trim that goes over the tank or rim, the tank sits on top.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Oh.. Ok... Well - you could cut some triangles to reinforce the corners by attaching with countersunk screws from the inside...

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would cut a small square of wood to fit inside the corner. Using glue and a clamp I would first set it so that it is where the original wood should be ( flush with the angle cut?) and glue it to one side. After that is set totally, I would then slide glue into the second joint and with the clamp pull the main wood back into position. If you use two clamps , you might be able to glue both sides at the same time. Use yellow carpenters glue and be sure to put a shim of wood between the clamp and the wood to cut marks on the paint. To get glue in the second joint, put glue on paper and slide it in. It doesn't have to be much.
Screws from the outside into the other wood might be nice but with the quality of wood they often use in commercial stands , it would be likely to split.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i am afraid of the wood splitting too. i will try to use the clamps. i dont know if you can tell from the picture but if the corner is pused back together it is not flush on top. would that be a problem or will the tanks weight maybe push it down?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
would that be a problem
Yes, you're fixing one problem, but creating another. I wouldn't count on the weight pushing it back down. If it can do that, more problems. I'm not sure I like the design of the stand. What are those boards sitting on. Can you get a pic from the inside? This shouldn't be structural, only cosmetic.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I'm not sure I like the design of the stand. What are those boards sitting on. Can you get a pic from the inside? This shouldn't be structural, only cosmetic.
I had a stand just like this one on my 120... There are slats approximately 3-4" wide standing vertically that are mortised approx 2-3" on each end. The 2X4 on the top & bottom sit flat into the mortised edge of each slat. I think the slats are 1/2" thick.

It is more structurally sound than one would think... Built out of pine.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
I would buy some steel "L" brackets & screw them into the inside to tighten the corners & call it a day. I would also attach them at the top - just below where the tank will rest..

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Standard commercial issue around here. Aqueon I believe. Terrible design. That is why mine is setting in the garage waiting for a buyer. My stand is even worse than the design Hoover has if he has 2X4 at the top. My stand has less than 3/4 thick as the top boards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts