Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am the process of building a cichlids aquarium with a 210 gallon display tank and 100 gallon sump. Can someone recommend heaters for 300 gallon total water volume with 65 degree ambient temp?

Thanks!

·
2,088 Posts
Many of us have been very happy with our Jager heaters (now made by eheim, I believe). Look into taking your total heating need and dividing it between a pair of heaters.

Also keep in mind, that most return pumps add a couple of degrees to the water temperature also.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Beware that the Jagers are a shadow of their former selves. Nothing like they used to be, and I have several many years old that still work fine. Also had a few newer go belly up after less than a year. Quality and durability have gone for a big dump. Here in Canada, one of our bigger online equipment suppliers now posts a warning..." Eheim Jager heaters have the highest return rate of any heater we sell". As my jagers slowly die off, I replace with either Aqueon Pro 250's or Fluval M series 300w. Have yet to have any of those fail.

·
Registered
767 Posts
We too have had problems with ehiem jager 300 watt heaters. Our first one died after 8 months of use. Ehiem replaced it and the replacement had alot of water in it after only a few months of use.
We swapped to aqueon pro and fluval E series heaters.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Keep in mind that every heater on the market has had their share of horror stories. I am a very big fan of pretty much everything Eheim sells. For heaters the vast majority of mine are Visi-Therm.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Finnex makes a 500w titanium heater that works off a digital touch controller, so you can easily change the temp without reaching in the tank or taking the heater out of the water..the controller also has a nice, bright, LED temperature readout which is convenient sometimes...

The digital temp controller may be a bit of a novelty (I admit that mine barely gets used), but it does make it quick and and easy if I do have to adjust the temp...I can easily change it and easily see what it has been changed too..For me personally, I went with this one because I have my heater hidden pretty well in a custom-made 3D background, so I just like knowing that if I DID have to adjust the temp, I wouldn't have to worry about reaching in the tank and most likely having to move it to adjust it, or having to take off my 7-foot canopy and glass tops, just to reach in and change the temperature 3 degrees, but I guess it depends mostly on your setup...just something to consider in advance...

I have one 500w heater (Finnex HMX 500s) in my 7 foot 200g keeping the tank between 77-78 perfectly...hope it's ok to post a link here - currently about $55 on Amazon for the digital 500w but they have smaller ones too...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts