Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. This is my first post and I've been pondering how my tank is stocked and what should I add.

The current plan.
1 breeding pair of Apistogramma cacatuoides
1 Albino Bristle nose pleco
4 Glo-fish (sister wanted them in and I did the research and found out they should be fine ph\water temp wise)

I know I'm missing some scavengers but I've read some people's cacatuoides are not friendly towards cory's. Just wondering how my tank is going to be stocked? Don't have my cacatuoides yet as my LFS is in the process of ordering me some but I currently have the glo's and the albino BN pleco.

As for the tank I got a fake piece of driftwood with places to hide and some plants. and black sand. going to add some rocks at some point also.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Are you planning on breeding? If so, the pleco and glo-fish may eat eggs and fry. Aren't glo-fish dye injected danios? I would avoid these to help end this ridiculous and inhumane practice in the hobby.

I recently added 7 c. habrosus in with my cacatouides. They didn't take too kindly to them at first, but there were fry in the tank. I kind of regret it now, because I think it caused the parents to eat some of their young. The cacs don't seem to mind the cories now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glofish are actually not injected, they are genetically engineered to have that color meaning if your two orange glofish breed the babies will be orange.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah the glofish are just genetically modified More info found here

as for regards towards breeding I have a separate 10gal I could put fry into as a growing tank :) but so cory's can work and my tank wont seem overstocked?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I stand corrected on the glofish. As far as corydoras go with one of the dwarf species (pygmaeus, habrosus, hastasus) or one of the small aspidoras sp. They will all be unlikely to eat eggs or fry and will be less boisterous and won't compete so much for space with the cacs. If you went with any other corydoras, I think your tank will be too crowded. Personally, I feel the bristlenose is a bit much. I would go with some otocinculus in it's place.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you are fine without scavengers your fish will sift through the subsrate and get anything useful they can out of it regardless if they are bottomfeeders or not. I used think a pleco was really important to have in every tank but I have not had one in my last three tanks and have been happy to use the extra space for fish I like.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts