Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I"m new to the forum and this is my first post.

I just setup a 20G (24x12x17) tank and I'm waiting for it to cycle right now. I'm planning to keep some multi's in there. I have about 3-4 inches of black tahitian moon sand and about 20 shells.

What I wanna know is how many multi's can I successfully keep in there?
And since the multi's will be at the bottom of the tank, I was wondering what other suitable tank mates I could keep with them?

I also have a 20G breeder (24"L x 18"W x 12"D), would that be too shallow for some Occelatus or Multi's? keep in mind there will be about 2" of sand as well.

Hope to hear your replies!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You could easily keep a few pairs of multis in there. I wouldn't worry about getting too many initially, they breed fairly quickly, and you'll be soon overrun with them.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You could cut the sand level way down for multi's. They're mainly interested in a pile of shells. Not all shellies need deep sand beds. I never use more than about an inch for any of mine.

12" is plenty deep enough for just about any shell dweller I can think of even with 2" of sand. I made two shellie tanks that are 42 long * 10 wide * 7 high.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys.

I think I'm gonna move everything to the 20G breeder, and get 10 multi's and hope that they pair off.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I wouldn't even start with that many. I'd go with half of that and let them breed to build their own colony. They protect their young, so it can happen fairly quick. I started with a trio and now have 9, and now they're breeding as well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Prov356 made a good point about not needing much substrate. My multi tank is a 33g long, I had the sand about 3" deep. I eventually had to take a lot of the sand out, the multies managed to bury the intake twice. The whole back corner of the tank was covered to 10" in sand by the multies. I have about 200 shells in the tank, mostly whale eyes, fairly cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't use sand in my multi tank. Over the years I've accumulated enough shells to cover a 10g bottom 3". I use smaller shells collected from the beach on bottom and whales eye shells as the top layer. My multi's don't care, they breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts