Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20gH tank we used to grow our oscar, jd, 2 convicts and firemouth while the 75 gallon tank was set up. they all love their new home and are doing great.. the 75 gallon has 2 aquaclear 110/500's and a penguin660 to move some water around inside as well..

so I did a sand substrate in the 20gallon.. going to stack it with java fern's and driftwoodss. using an aquaclear 50/200. Used water from the 75 gallon tank.. its been running for good while now and im ready to add fish (not at the same time of course)

how would stocking this tank with sound..

4 rummy nose
2 oto catfish
2 blue rams
2 cacatto

*** seen people do trio's in 20g tanks.. also pairs with lots of tetras.. i hope im not asking to much with what i want.

thank you for all the help so far!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The Rams require warmer water than the Apistos.

And I just noticed its a 20 high so no only one pair of cichlids please.

...Bill

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright.. i need something cool in there aside from the rams.. any kind of crawfish... mini crab?

Im about to toss in a few mini puffers and a bunch of nails lol

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
No crayfish or fresh water crabs.

Blue rams are generally a delicate SA cichlid. You don't want anything in the tank that will upset them. If the tank is very heavily planted, you might look at a pair of dicrossus filamentosus. They have pretty much the same water requirements as Blue rams. Both species require low PH, acidic water that is very clean.

Personally I'd up the number of rummynose and otos. Atleast 4 otos and 6 rummynose. If you want to add another species of tetra, lookout for green neon tetras.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
soo..

2 rams
2 dicrossus filamentosus
6 rummynose
and 4 ottos

That seems like it would be an awsome set up!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the lfs for blue rams and they sold a tank worth in 2 weeks at 20 a piece. Fml on the price and that it's gonna be a month till they get more. So instead I picked up 4 oto's and 6 silver tip tettras.

They had red Bolivian rams.. None had any strong colors and they where all dudes I think.

Anyone recommend a place to order online? I'd consider getting 3 and hopefully get a breeding pair

·
Registered
697 Posts
If you want a crustacean, add some cherry shrimp and let them propagate before adding your fish.

I love rummies, mostly because the shoal tightly, but this seems to diminish in lower populations. I would look at really small characins like ember tetras or red coral pencilfish.

Two species of dwarfs such a small tank might not work, so I would be prepared to adjust.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what a sick deal.. york pa is like 3 hours away.. 160 miles each way.. thats about 50 dollars in gas =(

if i had these's rams crankin babys id deff post em up for free on the site being that a decent source in central jersey seems to be asking for alot. lets see if our convicts in the 75gallon mash a few youngins out. such awsome lookin fish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts