Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20gal cube nano tank with a built in sump and power compact lighting that is currently sitting empty. The tank will have plenty of bio/mech filtration to support anything I put in it. My plan was to use some old Figi live rock (now dead and cleaned) along with CaribSea Eco-Complete... maybe a few live plants.

I would like to do a group of what the LFS calls mixed African Cichlids (each about 1" long), if possible. As the fish got too big, I would rotate them out. Is this feasible? If so, I would like to put as many in as possible as filtration / water changes will not be an issue. How many would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

- muscles

·
Registered
843 Posts
Unfortunately, Africans have strict footprint requirements for their tank. Since they're harem breeders, every male needs several females--if you don't have enough females, the male will chase them to death. Different species will create their own territory, which they do side to side, not front to back. Usually, a minimum 55g tank is suggested. Africans are too aggressive.

If you put one fish in, it'd be really unhappy because, if you think about it, even dwarf species get 3-4". In your tank, even one fish wouldn't have much room to move around. You'd have to change the water like 3-4 times a week too. Cichlids, like goldfish, create a huge amount of waste.

You could try a school of tropical fish. Fish that do not get too big and are peaceful. Africans, especially the Mbuna that are often in those mixed tanks, like to fight. :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
You could put a pair of kribs in maybe? I still think that's pushing it, but there is a dwarf species. Or some shellies. That's about it when it comes to African cichlids. I would just use it as planted tank or fry grow out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts