Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have a question regarding filtration for my 20 gallon long Shellie tank. I am currently running an AC70 HOB for filtration and I also have a AC20 powerhead for additional circulation. Does this seem like too much? Once and a while I'll turn the powerhead off, but I am thinking of rescaping the tank and moving the powerhead further down into the tank and try to create a flow across the sand towards the filter intake. Thanks for the input.

Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
I say its to much. The ac70 might be kinda over kill for your tank. But of course you can always adjust it. You should have a a fast moving flow already from the HOB.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the AC20 powerhead is overkill or the AC70 HOB is overkill? I do have an AC50 HOB that I am using for extra mechanical filtration and water movement on my hospital tank. Would this be a better fit for the 20g?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I don't know about shellies, but you its hard to over filter unless you have fish that like calm waters. You are filtering more than is necessary, but that isn't necessarily detrimental to the inhabitants.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tannable, good point there! The question should have been phrased as "Too much flow" for the tank, rather than filtration. The filtration is definitely overkill when you consider the stocking level. Thanks for bringing that up!

Mike

·
Registered
463 Posts
Wow... an AC 70 on a 20 gallon tank... that's a lot of flow!

On my 20 gallon, I put two ACs side by side... an AC 30 and AC 50. They have the same depth, so that works nice. I stuff the AC 50 with all the mech filtration, and the AC 30 I load up with biomedia. Keeps the tank crystal clear, and water flow in the tank is plenty without being overkill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.