Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trading a local guy here some of my old equipment for a 20g breeder tank along with a UGF for it that is air powered and about 10 of his yellow labs. I am planning on using the tank for my fry and to grow them out. Do you think I would better off just getting a little HOB or Sponge filter for it or would the UGF be fine? Never used the UGF's before so no idea how they work or anything.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good deal, I went to this little LFS today and they had a Marineland Emporer 280 HOB for the low low price of $79.99. Almost fell over right there! Guess I will not be getting it from there, and he all out of sponge filters too. Said he could get me one in a couple of weeks. Was like I kinda need it soon, since the tank is gonna have to cycle anyhow. Thinking about taking some bio media from one of my canisters tho to help jump start this little tank.

Figured since I have 2 canisters on my 75 that a little media from one of them to start this one wouldnt hurt my main tank any.

1. Would it be beneficial to use water from it too when I do a WC? or isnt there really enough bact. in the water column to even make a difference?

2. How much bio media do you think I would need to use for this little tank? (I have the ceramic rings in one and the ehiem has the substrate pro stuff, little balls)

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a Marineland Penguin 200 HOB for my fry/grow out tank. Do you think this will be too much for it if I plan on using a peice of AC sponge as a pre-filter to prevent the little guys from getting sucked up? Just am worried about the current being too much, but is a 20g. Was looking at the 150 model but it was $6 more than the 200 was???? Don't ask me but it was.

Would you guys even bother putting any substrate in this tank? Gonna try and put it under my main tank in the stand if I can fit it and the canisters in there together.

One other question, will it hurt my fluval 405 to run tipped against the back wall at about a 45 deg angle? Or does it have to be upright?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would think the 200 would be fine. Just make sure you keep the tank level high so the water coming out of the filter doesn't have a large potential energy difference (aka falls farther thus with more energy/force as it hits the surface.)

I have an AC50 on my 20g long and it works just fine. It is also 200gph.

I vote no substrate just for ease of seeing the small fish.

Not sure I'd run the fluval tipped. I would think the prop is balanced for upright use.

·
Registered
482 Posts
could get some fake caves and set them in there so they can hide from the current the being said had fry with a 150 penguin and they swam all over the tank with no issues just make sure to prefilter well or you will have fish in the filter nothing like walking by the tank and seeing half your fry gone look at the filter and there swimming there haha

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, got the penguin running on my main tank now to seed. Gonna put some of my ceramic rings in the reservoir tomorrow to help with the bio. I am planning on putting some of the labs I am getting in there tomorrow since they are all different sizes from 1 inch to 4 inches. Just thinking that the small ones should prob grow a little more before tossing in the main tank with all the dems and other labs.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh one more thing I thought of as I changed water in my fry tank this morning. If you can put your 20g long up as high as possible in the stand while still giving you enough room to work. Syphons work best with gravity in their favor.

Here's my setup I just completed this past week if you haven't seen it.

My fry tank is a 10g and it sits on an adjustable shelf unit from home depot. I could have easily fit a 20g long in there but I'm setting up a grow out tank in the garage instead.

You'll love having a fry/grow out tank under your main tank. It makes frequent water changes in the fry tank a breeze. I do daily 50% changes in the fry tank and take the water from the main tank above to fill. So I'm basically doing 35% change in the main tank weekly and 50% daily in the fry tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@dotbomb Looks great. I really gotta get a new stand and get it setup nice like yours!

Do you have a light for you fry tank at all? Or just let them hang out in the dark?
I was thinking about that for changing water in the little tank on how to get up off of the bottom to help with syphoning. Think a shelf like that would be strong enough to support a 20g tank?

One last thing, where did you find that hanging shelf with all you stuff in it on the door? Been looking for one but all I can find is shower ones molded for bars of soap and stuff.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I believe the shelf unit I bought said it can support 200lbs per shelf. It included 3 shelves and I just used 2 of them. The legs came in two pieces so I just used one piece. I'm sure different versions can support different weights.

I installed under cabinet led lights which I used to light the tank until my marineland led arrived for the fry tank.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I take it back... it is 250lbs per shelf.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

The link is to the one I bought. It is only 24" wide but I know they have other widths available.

They have one that is 36" wide and can hold 350lbs per shelf. It has 4 shelves though so you'd have to cut the legs down to get it to fit in your stand.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sweet, now I get to go buy more stuff! I might end up ordering that rack u have on ur door online since no one seems to carry them around here. All shower ones

·
Registered
509 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts