Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm geting ready to build a 36x36x36 cube aquArium and I was wondering what glass thickness would be ok...

·
Registered
319 Posts
That really depends on what you consider acceptable safety factors and deflection. I think 12mm (1/2 inch) would be minimum.
3 feet is a very deep tank and IMO you are asking for trouble no matter what thickness you use. I'd very much recommend a welded angle iron rim top and bottom.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Atleast 3/4 inch. I still think a rim should be used, glass and silicone are strong but the weight and pressure could eventually lead to failure. I know all to well. Was once lifting a 3000 glass piece with a crane at work, it was a insulated piece, silicone failed from weight and piece sheared off. Got us scared, which was a good thing because a week later the crane snapped and 6000 lbs fell 3 feet from us where normal we would be standing a week before. Moral of the story, be careful, sometimes things don't work as expected.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Chunkanese said:
I know all to well. Was once lifting a 3000 glass piece with a crane at work, it was a insulated piece, silicone failed from weight and piece sheared off. Got us scared, which was a good thing because a week later the crane snapped and 6000 lbs fell 3 feet from us where normal we would be standing a week before.
Wow, you were all lucky! :eek:

·
Registered
623 Posts
DanniGirl said:
Chunkanese said:
I know all to well. Was once lifting a 3000 glass piece with a crane at work, it was a insulated piece, silicone failed from weight and piece sheared off. Got us scared, which was a good thing because a week later the crane snapped and 6000 lbs fell 3 feet from us where normal we would be standing a week before.
Wow, you were all lucky! :eek:
Yep it was me and my 2 friends, very lucky. We were pretty angry about the situation as they used faulty gear knowingly without telling us. Plant got closed down a month later, talk about karma. :thumb:

Sorry dont mean to hijack. Thats a good point, 36 inches deep, might need a scuba mask when your trying to catch a fish! :D

What type of fish do you plan on housing in this, just out of curiousity?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My 110 is 30" tall. Not sure how thick the glass is, but it's pretty hefty. Probably leaning towards 3/4". And it is VERY hard for me to remove rocks or do much work in the tank. Especially since I am only 5'6".

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 150g is 30" tall and I HATE working on the bottom of the tank. I'm 6'2" and it's a PITA. Last tank I'll ever own that's this deep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts