Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dabbling with the idea of turning my 20 gallon planted kribensis tank back into an african tank. First off I haven't tried tanganyika species before, some options that I was thinking of were 2 bricardi and a leleupi OR 4-5 Paracyprichromis Nigripinnis, anyone have any opinions or any other species that may work?

·
Registered
73 Posts
There are alot more Shellie choices than Brevis. Occies come in colors, gold being the most popular. What ever Shellie you do get, if any, you will be more delighted by the behavior and social interactions between themselves to even worry about color.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
could I do two-3 different species of shellies or would it have to be a species tank.....also could I throw in something other type of fish like a miniature calvus (if they exist) later on so that I am not over run with fry? I do like the julies and the gold ocellatus

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had a 10 gal. that wasn't being used and toyed with a ton of ideas, from a common community with guppies, swords, etc. all the way through various sorts of species tanks. I finally settled on gold occies. I'm lazy with the pics, but considering its only a 10, it is a beautiful looking tank. I used black sand an placed a large tufa rock diagonally near one corner, effectively splittin the tank into two territories. A heater lies horizontally across the the bottom rear of the tank and is all but unnoticeable against the black sand. In the right rear corner is powerhead-driven sponge filter that is camoflauged with java ferns. 20 whale eye shells that are scattered over the sand are home to six gold occies. The white tufa rock, really pops against the black sand and helps buffer the water. The occies look good against that sand too. These are some ideas that you might like to consider. I really think they would work even better in a 20 gal.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so I have finally set up my tank with 14 shells and 3 small rockpiles. Species going in will be a trio of juli transcriptus OR masked juli's and aiming for 5 brevis as I think 5 Gold Ocellatus will be too aggressive in a tank of this size. any opinons on the tank itself or stock list other than the fact that I need at least 10 more shells??

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Skimboarder_07 said:
so I have finally set up my tank with 14 shells and 3 small rockpiles. Species going in will be a trio of juli transcriptus OR masked juli's and aiming for 5 brevis as I think 5 Gold Ocellatus will be too aggressive in a tank of this size. any opinons on the tank itself or stock list other than the fact that I need at least 10 more shells??
Two species are highly unlikely to work out in a tank of your size.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
.....I take it then that the cookie cutters on this site are out of date ??? seeing as they say that 3 species in a 20 gallon are fine and im only considering two?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.